We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Hi,

Am looking at potentially spending 2 days by myself in SG in April and wondered if anyone else could recommend places to stay (nice hostels? or better in a hotel?) and which areas are safe but fun/ can meet people - although not a priority.

Thanks!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Would be great if you mention your budget as well.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

SIN is one of the safest places on Earth. Staying even in the Red Light district will not affect the level of your security and safety.

For accommodation recommendations, let us know your budget/ night????

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Singapore will make a great 2 days get away for a solo lady.

It is safe but I'm not sure you should be looking to stay in the red-light district area as mentioned above if you don't like unwanted attention.

That said, Geylang, the somewhat official red-light district of Singapore, is IMO the most intriguing part of Singapore.

Lots of great food for cheap prices.

Lots of foreigners but few tourists. :)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Yes yes yes.

The Fragrance Hotels are relatively cheap and clean, but construction means noise is often a bit of a problem, depends on the manners of the other guests. Don't be fooled by the "no crime" gospel - we had money stolen from our hotel room despite assurances from the (Fragrance Imperial) Hotel that it would be perfectly safe to leave valuables in the room.

It isn't that cheap though - alcohol is very expensive (unless you are used to Club prices) £2.50 for a 500ml can of beer was cheap! Wine is ridiculous!

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
118 reviews
5. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

<<we had money stolen from our hotel room despite assurances from the (Fragrance Imperial) Hotel that it would be perfectly safe to leave valuables in the room>>

Thanks for sharing, langstonetricky, THAT`s the important info. YOu did the very right thing to come to this forum with this warning about this property. Personally i never recommend to stay in Fragrance hotels.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,992 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Hello,

I stay in Singapore all the time by myself and always find plenty to do that doesn't cost a lot. Depends on your hotel budget. I like the area around Bras Basah Road/Victoria Street, and Bugis MRT, and Arab Street area - good places to eat, lots to see, safe streets, plenty of MRT transport and bus routes, plus shopping options if you are keen on that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Singapore is probably THE place to go for the solo traveller!

I think you might enjoy staying somewhere like the Ibis Bencoolen, its close to all transport and also close to some pretty funky areas. But also within a pretty short walk to the riverfront.

Enjoy yourself and let your Credit Card do the walking in all those shopping centres!!!!

Perth
Level Contributor
537 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

I would recommend Ibis on Bencoolen as well. Good hotel for a price in Singapore and well located to all attractions and plenty of cheap eating around the area as well. Try Fatties just over the road (hotel will give you directions

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

Amigos hostel 5mins walk from Lavender mrt. Cheap, very clean, and nice owner/manager. Always had (free) fruits for guests on the living room table when I was there, that can't be a bad thing! haha. The area is very safe also.

If you feel uncomfortable about sharing a room with strangers, they have private rooms as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
142 posts
117 reviews
10. Re: singapore - 2 days solo - good idea? Accom?

It is best to stay away from the Fragrence Hotel lines and other very low-rated hotels in Singapore. It is indeed rare for such robberies to occur. It is best to stay in the more medium-range hotels, such as Hotel Re! or whatnot.