We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question About First Trip to Brazil

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Question About First Trip to Brazil

I am looking into planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro & Sao Paulo, Brazil in December 2012 and was wondering if there are any special visas or vaccinations that I need to ( or should) have in order to enter the country. (I am an American citizen). Thank you.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 05:18
Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

Hello!

Yes, you need a tourist or business Visa to enter the country. Check it on the brazilian consulate or embassy website all the requirements.

No, you dont need any special vaccinations to visit Rio and São Paulo.

Have fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

The cost for a Brazilian visa has just gone up to $160, reciprocating the cost rise for Brazilians getting US visas.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

Thank you for your response, Turisa2008. Very helpful. $160, octoroo? OMG, much more than I exepected!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

Here is the website of the U.S. State Department regarding travel to Brazil: …state.gov/travel/…entry_requirements

You can get the visa from a consulate in addition to the embassy. Allow at least a few weeks to get the visa if you apply by mail, so don't wait until a few weeks before your trip. Get it a few months ahead of schedule.

(There's also useful, albeit alarmist, health and safety information on that webpage.)

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

We went to Rio and Sao Paulo and we didnt need any vaccine, however, there is plenty of annoying mosquitos in Rio area, take anti-mosquito precautions as dengue sometimes occurs.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

Hi there

Others have answered the visa questions. Re vaccinations none are required but it would be good to bring some hefty bug spray with plenty of DEET which can deal not only with any mosquitos you come across but also the "no see-ums" prevalent down the Rio/São Paulo coast at certain times of year. I myself live in Rio and rarely see a mosquito here at any time of year, but it never hurts to be forewarned and forearmed.

Cheers,

Alison

Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

The Brazilian Consulate with jurisdiction over Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) for visa matters is in New York CIty. Read the official site carefully for directions about applying for a visa (as each consulate has slightly diffeerent requirements).

http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/

8. Re: Question About First Trip to Brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:42