We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilean Reciprocity fee

Calabasas,CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Chilean Reciprocity fee

I will be traveling from Mendoza, stopping in Santiago, Chile for 10 hours, and then continuing on to Miami, Florida. If I check my bags all the way through from Mendoza to Miami, but want to spend 8 hours touring Santiago by private guide(i.e. exiting and entering the Santiago Airport), will I have to pay a Reciprocity fee since I am a U.S. citizen?

Tours 4 Tips
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Aguiastour Chile
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, City Tours
Sousas Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
Uncorked Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

You will clear customs and immigrations at SCL before connecting to your Chile domestic flight and thus must pay the reciprocity fee.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Correct, unless you stay in the transit area you don't pay but since you want to take internal flights you have to "enter the country" and therefore pay the fee. However, if you come by land and you are already in the country you don't have to worry about the fee at that point.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

If you enter the country on an international flight you will pay the fee. If you transit between international flights and stay in the transit area you will not pay the fee. If you enter by land or sea or another airport in Chile you will not pay the fee. If you enter at SCL on an international flight and transfer to a domestic flight you will pay the fee at SCL as you are entering Chile there.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Is it any better to pay the $160 reciprocity fee in USD, Chilean pesos or US credit card? Any pros or cons?

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Cash -- needs to be in good condition.

Credit Card -- factor in the foreign fee, 3% for most cards.

CLP -- will need to withdraw at a pre passport control ATM (2500 to 3500 Chile-side per withdraw fee along with your banks exchange fee and/or per withdraw fee apply).

USD cash the cheapest, credit card the least hassle.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Thank you, Carrie for asking that question and eeuunikkei for answering. I wanted to know the same thing.

Do children cost the same? So our family of four will have to pay $640? Wow...

Edited: 25 October 2012, 11:13
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how old your kids are. This is because each member of a Chilean family has to pay the same amount as a visa fee to enter the US. We came up with this fee first and Latin American countries obviously followed.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

Chileans need to apply for a visa to enter the US at the Embassy in Santiago. It is $160 USD to apply each time and there is no refund if they are denied a visa.

FME of being denied a visa at the Chilean Embassy in Washington DC 11 years ago, they refunded my money.

There is talk that Chile will become part of the visa waiver program and this would mean the fee would be dropped at both ends.

Regarding large families entering Chile on subject to reciprocity fee passports, check to see what it would cost to transit to Mendoza and modify your trip to stay a couple of days there and then take the scenic bus ride into Chile. This is assuming Argentina does not extend their reciprocity fee to MDZ airport after it goes electronic at the end of the month.

Orange Park, FL
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

I have seen on another forum that sometimes the credit card machines are not in operation for paying the reciprocity fee. True? Do we need to be prepared to pay in cash just in case? What denomination bills will they accept if we pay in cash? My credit card does not have a foreign transaction fee so this would be the safest option for me if I can use the card instead of carrying that much cash.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 13:20
Burlington, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Chilean Reciprocity fee

It used to be that the reciprocity fee was good in both Argentina and Chile. We have a "tag"issued in 2010, with a 2020 expiration date. Does anyone know if it will be honored?

Get answers to your questions about Santiago