We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking When You Get There

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
558 posts
26 reviews
Booking When You Get There

We're planning on spending 10 days in Peru in Feb with 7 days touring round the stereotypical destinations (Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Titicaca etc) and 3 days relaxing in the Lima area. I read on this forum that we'd be best advised to book an organised 7-day tour when we get there. Three ways to do this:

A) Pre-book a flight to Cusco and then sort the whole thing out on arrival for departure the next day.

B) Get something sorted with a Lima company when we get there including flights up to Cusco and back.

C) Work harder to find a local company that will sell me a 'local tour', but that I can book/reserve from afar. If so - any commendations to follow up?

7 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Booking When You Get There

Ehy risk it

Book in advance

No advantage or price differences if you wait

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
294 reviews
2. Re: Booking When You Get There

It is really easy to book everything yourself online before you go. Using a tour company or travel agency, whether in the U.K. or in Peru will add little but cost. The exception would be the Inca Trail for which you do need an agency. I certainly would not waste any of your time searching out operators when in Lima.

Flights can be booked online direct with the airline, trains with Peru Rail and MP tickets on the official site. For touring the Sacred Valley Taxidatum.com are very good and can also be booked online for your transfers to and from Lima and Cisco airports. Booking.com are pretty good for booking hotels.

If you really want a tour operator then andeantravelweb.com/peru/destinations/cusco/… is a decent resource. For operators in Peru.

If you need guides at any particular site there are always a few around which you can hire there and then

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Booking When You Get There

February being low season (rainy season), I think you can book your Lima->Cusco flights on your own.

I would say book your hotels also, but you will need to have a plan/itinerary first. You need to know if you will split your stay between Sacred valley & Cusco, night in Aguas calientes?…Etc.

Organized group tours are optional, they all start/end in Cusco city & they can be easily booked with a days notice. You also have the option to explore on your own (hire a taxi).

You should have no problems to buy regular MP tickets when you get to Cusco, but if you are planning to do Huayna Picchu hike inside Machu Picchu then you need to buy them in advance. You could also buy your train tickets (Ollantaytambo->Aguas Calientes), once your have your itinerary set.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Booking When You Get There

I'm not sure if you'd be "best advised" to book an organized 7 day tour. I think it depends on how much flexibility and independence that you want. All flights and hotels can be booked online ahead of time just like anywhere else. My feeling is an organized tour is just charging you to do this legwork for you. That might be fine though, it certainly takes some of the work out of it, but you also relinquish some control of your itinerary.

You might be able to get MP tickets when you get there, but I don't know about the train (or the additional hikes as mentioned above). They will be more of a problem to book when you arrive. Not sure why you'd risk taking this trip and not be able to get a ticket to MP once you get there. Book ahead.

Certainly tours and guides for local and smaller sites can be purchased when you get there, even day of when you get on site.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Booking When You Get There

It would be best for you to book everything in advance without hiring an agency. 7 days in Cusco-MP with 3 days in Lima sound good.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,473 posts
1 review
6. Re: Booking When You Get There

welcome,

"A) Pre-book a flight to Cusco and then sort the whole thing out on arrival for departure the next day."

you could do this. But why?

If you have alot of time & money to burn, then i can see doing it on the fly.

As you should know, booking last minute flights can be expensive. In the UK is no different anyplace else.

"B) Get something sorted with a Lima company when we get there including flights up to Cusco and back."

again, look at A.

you are spending ALOT of $$$ to get there, why not take that next step. You can do alot yourself if you want.

If you dont want to spend the time and effort to do the work, you can pay someone to do the work for you too. Some people dont want to do the work or its too complicated for them. So consider what you want and how you want to do it, but doing it at the last moment, i wouldn't do.

"C) Work harder to find a local company that will sell me a 'local tour', but that I can book/reserve from afar. If so - any commendations to follow up?"

I would look in the UK for a company if you want to do that route. What would you do i you find someone off the web and takes your $$$? In the UK at least you have the local laws to do something.

good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Booking When You Get There

No need to book all this through a tour company. That's just a lot of money wasted.

Spend a couple hours researching and making the bookings yourself. Will save you so much money and you can be more flexible. It really isn't that hard for what you're doing.

Reply to: Booking When You Get There
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted