We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amazon camping tour guide iquitos

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
amazon camping tour guide iquitos

hi

I would like some advice for a guide for the amazon this September departing from Iquitos. I am wanting to sleep in jungle to see the most amount of wildlife. Need a good guide so who can take this trip.

anyone been there recently and can recommend a tour company or guide?

I have heard that Geron is a good guide?

kat

Amazon Explorer
Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Jungle Explorer Orlando's Expeditions
Hiking & Camping Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Amazon Experience
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Boat Tours
Amazon Expeditioners
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
4 replies to this topic
los angeles
Level Contributor
913 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amazon camping tour guide iquitos

We stayed at Muyuna Lodge last year. It is 130km from Iquitos. You have an option to camp out in the jungle in a tent. Our guide's name is Pablo and he speaks good english.

www.muyuna.com/www.muyuna.com/index.html

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: amazon camping tour guide iquitos

We travel to Iquitos frequently and have tried quite a few different options over the years. I would suggest never traveling with a "freelance" tour guide (Such as Gerson as you mentioned). This isnt a knock against him personally but these types of guides are not held accountable for anything and most of the time do not own anything in terms of operations (no boats, cars, moto-taxis, lodges, etc) which means they piece it all together and hope for the best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If it doesnt work out for you there is nothing you can do about it as you are not dealing with a reputable company who is registered.

We personally like Maniti Expeditions, they own two lodges, eco-lodge and a luxury lodge (which by the way is incredible if you have the budget) and they also run jungle camping tours. Prices are very reasonable but more importantly we have always been treated like kings there, they seem to really invest in their staff and it shows through their efforts to please travelers.

I think Iquitos is a pay for what you get type of destination, you can do it cheap but in my opinion I think its best to just pay a little extra money and get a true experience from a reputable professional.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: amazon camping tour guide iquitos

Thanks for the information i appreciate it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: amazon camping tour guide iquitos

Where is the best part of the jungle to visit from iquitos?

Reply to: amazon camping tour guide iquitos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted