We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Hello Hello. My wife and I are in our mid-fifties, and are experienced international travellers. I am finalizing our plans for Peru, and have a question on which lodge to use in Iquitos for the Amazon portion of our trip.

I can't decide between the Explorama, which will really let us experience the Amazon, both day and nite, or the Ceiba Tops, isolated from the Amazon by 4 walls, but complete with air conditioning.

Can anyone tell me how it is possible to sleep in 95% humidity, 95 degree temperatures of the Explorama ?? My wife and I are not fussy travellers. We've slept in a tent in the Sahara and rustic accomodations in Northern Thailand. We're not looking for a ritzy place. I am just curious if the air conditioned room is worth the separation from the Amazon?

Also, while I'm at it - I may be 53 years old, but (like many of you men out there), I'm a kid at heart. I'm looking forward to the experience meeting the Yagua tribe. I've read that it is possible to barter or purchase blow guns from the folks in the tribes? Has anyone done this? If bartered - what did you barter? If purchased, what was the cost? Finally, was there any problems bringing the blow gun onto your home-bound plane?

Thanx for all of your input !!

joearena99@hotmail.com

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Being from a low humidity climate, I had a hard time with the humidity (temperature is not in the 90s btw more like the 80s) it but later at night it cools off a bit and then was possible to sleep. The fact that you are under mosquito nets that block air circulation does not help the situation.

Luckily we had a cold front come through after the first few nights and then it was a lot nicer (this was in May) but still was glad to be in some A/C back in Iquitos!

Doesn't Explorama let you do a few days at Ceiba Tops and a few days at their other more rustic lodges?

Edited: 13 December 2010, 23:59
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

I don't think you will have any problem sleeping in rustic cabins. We just come back from our jungle trip and it was perfect. Sure it was humid but nothing that we could not tolerate. Cold shower helps.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Hi there,

I've stayed at both Ceiba Tops and Explorama Lodge (run by the same company). Both facilities are excellent, and the staff and crew are among the best in the business.

If you want a more authentic "jungle" experience, opt for Explorama Lodge. Given the cost and time you are spending, you might regret not taking the chance to really immerse yourself in the forest. At the lodge, you will hear the symphony of night life, which you just don't get in the Ceiba Tops rooms. If you're active, you'll get tired enough exploring the forest, piranha fishing, caiman hunting, etc. that you won't notice the humidity at night!

Ceiba Tops is great. It's more focused on comfort, but that's not really the reason to go to the Amazon is it? If you have more than a day, and budget allowing, you might consider 2 or 3 nights at Explorama Lodge and a night at Ceiba Tops to recover!

Roger Harris

Author - The Amazon: The Bradt Travel Guide (3rd Edition, 2007)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Most Guests opinions say that Ceiba Tops is a bit too much comfort in the middle of the Jungle.

Explorama provides a more authentic Jungle Experience.

Staying at Explorama makes it logisticaly better for you, avoids long boat trips to see more relevant highlights.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

I take all our volunteer groups up the river 5 hours and sleep in tents on a covered platform so they can hear the jungle noises at night. That is what THEY want. It is quite possible to sleep in the heat since it does cool down at night and by morning everyone is covered with their blankets......The tent is the key to keeping the mosquitoes off.

As far as the bartering, I go just past the Yagua tribe to the second Bora family. They are a lot of fun. We barter granola bars to t-shirts, tennis shoes to sun glasses....Any american trinket stuff they love. Cheap pocket knife or flashlight or bic lighter will get you some cool jungle stuff. Snacks from the local grocery before you go like cookies, little sack of sugar or salt or kerosene....

Lots of our volunteers buy the blow guns. When you get back in town stop at a "hardware" store. There are tons of them and buy a little plastic sewer pipe, put the blow gun in and duct tape the ends shut. You can then check this through. Don't buy anything with animal skins or snake skins. It is illegal and can be confiscated in the US PLUS it encourages more killing of the Rain forest animals. The bow and arrows are awesome too....I don't recommend buying anything more than about 5' tall though, the airlines can get stinky some times about the checking it through if it is too long.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

Oh, ya.One more thing. I NEVER sleep on our boat on the way to the jungle. I like to be really tired at night. Some ear plugs can help IF there are other people snoring in the same area. You can put them in AFTER you tire of hearing the jungle noises....hahahah

7. Re: Explorama or Ceiba Tops Lodge ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 04:18