We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Israel
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

We are 2 couples planning a trip to Peru at Aug 2011 for 2 weeks.

We want to go to Jungle trip for 3 days (2 nights).

What are the differences between Iquitos and Puerto Maldonado and which is reccomended?

Thanks Anat

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

I am not sure what you are asking. Puerto Maldonado is a town. We stayed at Sandoval Lake jungle lodge which is a hike off the Madre de Dios river and flew into Puerto Maldonado to catch the boat down the river.

www.inkanatura.com/sandovallakelodge.asp

Edited: 30 January 2011, 03:30
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Very often I take trips to both places.

Puerto Maldonado, Tambopata or Manu (which are all around the same area ... a short flight distance from Cusco) are far better than Iquitos in terms of wildlife spotting, and service quality.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

Iquitos is easier to come and go from. There are jungle guide services readily available and of course we are at the headwaters of the Amazon River. I live and work here and if you need a jungle guide there are many that I can recommend (and a handful to stay clear of)

I have a crisis center here for abandon and abused girls and their babies and a medical/dental clinic, "Peopleofperu.org" so, tourism isn't what we do.

However, I have had over 2,000 volunteers to our humanitarian organization and virtually all of them want to see the jungle. Let's just say our guides have been there a number of times...hahahahah

There are some really unique tribes that we visit all the time and the Belen Market is amazing but you should have a guide to go with you there. The manatee refuge center is really nice. Its a great city with easy transportation and lots of unique restaurants and street entertainment. Thumbs up for Iquitos.

Contact me if you need help. That is what I am here for. U4peru@aol.com

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

hello,personally i have to say that i love iquitos..it's a nice friendly chilled out place...if you're pushed for time than manu would be better as its close to cuzco....getting to iquitos means getting a rtn flight from lima...in the end its up to you,i'd read up about the 2 in lonely planet...then decide...ps,jungle trips in manu were extremely expensive when i was last in peru...and that was years ago.....which is why most travellers do rurrenabaque in bolivia instead!!!

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

For sure there are two prices in any town that has a tourist industry. The first price is what you pay if you don't know. The other price is what you pay if you do.

These forums are an awesome place to find people who "do."

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

I visited Iquitos in Dec. one of the best trip that I have ever had:-)

I am not sure about the Puerto Maldonado thought. I bet it is great. I read a lot and seeing the Amazon river was my key point to choose between those two places. I did not stay in Iquito. I just stayed for a night and head to the jungle for 5 days. It was 3 hours boat ride to the lodge.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

yea,that's why i reccomend lonely planet guide book,because they offer good choices to suit every budget,then once decided there you can get last bits decided with tripadvisor help etc......to try and get good decisions on trip advisor without the help of such a book beforehand is simply putting all ones eggs into 1 basket and a limited source of info ...compared to the wealth of info available in such a book.speaking spanish will enable you to bargain those big prices that they want lower....especially if one decides on a lp budget option,which is often just as good....who needs luxurious jungle huts,etc....when in the jungle,on is in the jungle.hope this info helps you decide on a good value choice.happy trips.

Hull
Level Contributor
140 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

We went to Wasai Lodge in Maldonado. The lodge was great and the food was the best we had in our travels around Peru. We chose Maldonado over Iquitos as we did not need any malaria medication. I had read that some malaria treatments can make you feel really ill and I did not want that to spoil our trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

I stayed 5 days at Ecoamazonia lodge in Maldonado and I really enjoyed my stay here. It was hightlight of my trip. Also loved the excursions to the jungle, Botanical garden monkey island.

There was no hot water in the lodge but I did not miss it as I got v hot there.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado

yea...but how much was your eco..jungle lodge and jungle tour>??