We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

Has any one been on the Delfin 1 small river cruise ship recently? All I read about the is the Delfin 2. We are booked for March 28th of this year for a 4 day 3 night on one of the four cabins. Anyone else booked for that time slot?

delfinamazoncruises.info/pdf/delfinnbfs.pdf

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

The Delfin I was just remodeled and has now very luxurious amenities, with spacious suites boasting terraces, and some even their private jacuzzi. The Delfin II, slightly bigger, can accommodate more passengers, and its amenities are just as luxurious. The real difference is the terraces and jacuzzis, for added relaxation.

Happy travels!

Hortense

Peru For Less

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

Thank you Hortense for expanding on my comment - I've been dealing with Ines Orihuela from Delfin Amazon Cruises and am aware of what you said. What I am looking for is a couple who has already traveled on the Delfin 1 (not a travel agent) who can give me some input and/or a couple who has also booked the same dates as I have for this cruise in March. I am not looking for advertising or solicitation as I've already had plenty of that.

John from California

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

I am REALLY interested in your comments when you return from this trip.

Thanks.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

Delfin 1 – March 28, 2011

After a very long and somewhat painful search on the Internet I found and booked ourselves a 4 day 3 night cruise on the Delfin 1 Amazon cruise ship.

http://www.delfinamazoncruises.com

This boat has been remodeled during the last months of 2010 and we were told the trip we were on was the 7th sailing since the remodel. There is a lot of old, incorrect information and pictures floating around the Internet about the current condition of this small ship, even the full color brochure being passed out by some travel agents (www.EcoAdventures.com) where pictures are of the boat before the last remodel. This is advertising a seven cabin, 14 passenger ship which was true but is no longer – as the current boat is four cabin, 8 passenger ship. The smaller capacity is what drew me to this ship plus the somewhat larger than normal sized suites. Don’t be fooled (as I was) about the “private Jacuzzi” because what they don’t mention is this water is not heated and you may have to share it with a lot of beetles and other bugs that apparently had jumped on board while the vessel was docked. The bug problem was more apparent in Cabin #1 (ours) which was the side of the boat that touched the dock when tied up on shore. The other Suite on the main deck with a Jacuzzi did not suffer this invasion problem as much we were told by another passenger. Besides the cold Jacuzzi and bug problem, we found the rest of the ship to be a delight and exactly what we were looking for with only one exception. The biggest downside of the entire trip was the engine sound that was apparent most of the time. This ship was small enough so there was really no place you go without hearing and feeling the small diesel engine chugging along – and as they advertise, it travels at night….it was so loud sleeping was almost impossible without ear plugs. But luckily for us on day 2 of our excursion the boat apparently blew the fuel pump of the engine which could not be repaired during our trip. This of course probably did mean the boat could not travel as far up the main river as was planned so our off boat excursions were most likely changed accordingly with no compensation or satisfactory explanations given. The meals were above average most of the time but beware of the “special requests” that if you need a special diet requirements – all request must be made at least 30 days in advance. We gave notice to our travel agent and the Delfin reservations that one of us had requested a no fish diet…..however when on board found that information had apparently not been given to the kitchen. Luckily we were able to switch enough of the menu on board with the help of the chief to get by. We were a little disappointed with the last dinner served, hoping it would be a special good-bye sort of thing but it wasn’t. The 4 day 3 night was enough for us to see what we did not see while staying at Ceiba Tops lodge right before taking the cruise. The first night arriving at the Delfin 1 we didn’t get on board until 7:45pm which really killed the first day. They will give you an itinerary or you can find one on line which is pretty accurate including the evening arrival on your first day. As another passenger had commented on an earlier write up that this excursion is not physically challenging – most of the time you are on one of the two skiffs, not doing shore walks which is true. I took close to 400 pictures on this vacation as well as some of the newer 1080p videos, even with some of the surprises or disappointments we encountered –we were not that surprised as one remembers where you are in the world and we enjoyed the trip tremendously, making some new friends from around the world. My only suggestion of you’re considering this or any other type of Amazon river boat cruises, is to check the various prices offered on the web. If you’d like to go right the source here’s the email address for assistant director of sales and reservations of the cruise company;

Ines.Orihuela@delfinamazoncruises.com

We found Ines to be very professional and quick in responding back to email questions or concerns. Write her and ask for the description and links for the Unbranded Fact sheet, Easy Tips, FAQ, Itinerary 4 days and photos. I found the best prices were thru Sherman Travel an on line service at our booking time. I made the mistake of asking a local travel agency if they could match the prices…anyway after learning from experience I would not suggest using EcoAdventures unless you want a lot of grief and not knowing what you’re paying for. Here is some of the fine print:

“Itineraries provided by EcoAdventures, Inc. are customized packages. Prices quoted include charges for our expertise, research, itinerary planning and preparation, currency transfer, booking procedures, and the service of the tour operators representing EcoAdventures. We regret that we cannot provide a breakdown of charges.” In spite of the fact you are told that some of the various drivers and guides you will encounter, tips are included in your package…how much of a tip is not disclosed. Very poor practice in my opinion. Live and learn, and enjoy life while you still can.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

Thank you for your report. It is funny though that you post the question and finally you answered it : )

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

What's funny? Marytrial asked them to report back after the trip.

If JohnLIrvine is reading, how did you like Ceiba Tops?

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
921 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

In my opinion, if a company advertises having a jacuzzi on board and then they "forget" to tell you that the jacuzzi is never heated, that's just fraud. It's false advertising.

It's like advertising a gourmet dinner, and then taking the customers to McDonalds.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

This is JohnLIrvine and I did do a quick review of Ceiba Tops listed under Explorama Lodges - but for some reason TripAdvisor is still holding off posting it, maybe because I did not speak highly of EcoAdventures I'm not sure. Anyway, we enjoyed Ceiba Tops and picked it because it was the only place with a/c of the various units. Not being too sure how the weather was going to be and reading other stories about not heated showers and pit toilets...this was not what we wanted for this trip. Others say you can't experience the real amazon if you opt for a/c.....well they can experience it their way, I'll go mine thank you. Back when I was 30 years younger or perhaps at Burning Man that was to be expected and accepted but I'm now thru with tents, sleeping bags and roughing it. Back to Ceiba Tops - decent food, nice pool with spa to cool off, fairly well stocked bar with the basics, small gift shop area. I didn't bring my phone or laptop so I don't know or care about the internet stuff, when I'm on this kind of vacation I don't want to hear from anybody. Nice rooms, showers, beds and we experienced only one power outage that didn't last long. Hope this help for now.

9. Re: Delfin 1, after the remodel in 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:22