We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

My friend and I are looking for some adventure in the Amazon. Any recommendations on who to book with? Either a jungle lodge or a river tour? We would really like to see monkeys and dolphins, fish for piranhas and maybe even camp in the Jungle for a night. Any advice would be great. Looking for something more authentic and less touristy!

Lisa

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

you can visit the south american explorers club www.saexplorers.org

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Yes, Check out PeruVoluntours.com. If you want an opportunity to see the culture and impact the life of some impoverished people at the same time. This is the place to start.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Tahuayo Lodge on a tributary out of Iquitos

www.perujungle.com

If you call direct and speak to the owner he is usually happy to give a discount especially if you can be flexible so that you will be sharing the transport from Iquitos to the lodge. Be sure to book a few days at the upstream lodge "ARC", even with shared toilets I liked that one better as it is on a blackwater section of the Tahuayo.

Monkey spotting is especially good at this lodge. Ask your guide if you can see the owl monkeys behind the main lodge, they are the cutest!

If flying cheap on Star or Peruvian you may need to spend a night in Iquitos, if so visit Belen market in the am.. "dodgy" some will advise going with a guide.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 17:01
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Thanks for all of the advice. I am looking at a couple of options!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

I just returned from Peru - and stayed Posada Amazonas....about 1-1/2 hour trip from Puerto Maldonado...I can't say enough good things.

The lodge is very nice...the rooms are open to the forest...so in effect it's like camping. We took many walks and saw 5 different types of Monkeys (close enough for good pics), many birds...and night time walk in the dark. A trip to a lake and had the opportunity to fish for Piranha.

And we had the best guide too - Aldo - he spotted many things on the trail and was very knowledgable!!!

The company - perunature.com, has other lodges. I would definitely recommend the 3 night options!!!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

I stayed at the Muyuna Amazon Lodge two years ago..which is approximately a couple of hours away from Iquitos...it was absolute amazing, would recommend it.

Saw a few different kind of monkeys, spotted Pink Dolphins, Piranha fishing and you go to a place where you can spot some birds who look like praehistoric ones (cannot remember the name). There is also the opportunites to have night walks...you tell the guide what you want and they try everything to accomodate it.

Food is good, and room were comfortable. I think I added some pics in my review.

Whatever you will choose, I am sure you will love it there

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Hoatzins are the weird birds.

Just know that you can pretty much see monkeys, birds, frogs, piranha, caiman no matter which lodge you stay at.

The pink river dolphin do not extend their range to Manu, though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

I agree with Mlgb and I saw all the monkeys, birds, frogs, piranha, caiman, parrots but not the dolphins at Eco Amazonia lodge in Puerto Maldonado

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Thank you mlgb...I just couldn't remember the name of the bird...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two friends looking for an Amazon adventure

Ha ha yeah it sounds like you can see stuff everywhere which makes this a difficult decision. I have read a lot of great things about Muyuna so I am leaning in that direction. Anyone have anything to say about Explorama lodge?