We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing DSLR camera to peru

Deep River, Canada
11 posts
Bringing DSLR camera to peru

Is it safe to carry a dslr camera around peru or should I just bring a point and shoot camera?

7 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
789 reviews
1. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

Not a problem bringing a DSLR though the bigger the camera the more street vendors will try and sell you things you don't want.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
2. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

Not a problem, bring either, or both

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

welcome

i would bring the one with the best photo capabilities.

personally i love my PnS, but eventually i want to get a compact DSLR too.

good luck

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

No problem bringing a DSLR. I just came back from Peru and Bolivia 3 days ago and had my entire camera equipment with me at most times (tripod, extra lenses, flash, filters, etc) and never had a problem. We probably ended up taking more pictures with our phones, but you can really tell the difference between the qualities of a DSLR vs a phone.

We just made sure to put it in the camera bag whenever not required (at nights especially) just to be on the safe side. Just practice caution like you would in any part of the world and you should be fine.

Deep River, Canada
11 posts
5. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

Thank you!

Would u also be able to tell me what kind of outlet adapter I need for plugging in electronics.

Thanks

Martinsville...
Level Contributor
23 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

My experience was similar to Muffingg but I didn't have a tripod. No problem, just be aware of your surroundings. My battery charger for the camera and for the I-Phone charger were rated for the 220 V of Peru. All the electric outlets we found were either the two parallel slots or combined with the two round posts. Just make sure the camera battery charger can take 220V and doesn't have the one larger post common on US / Canada appliances.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Bringing DSLR camera to peru

In our experience, we mostly saw the 2 round ones (European style) with some places having the two parallel slots (US Style) as well.

Reply to: Bringing DSLR camera to peru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted