We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Francoforte...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Dear travellers,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I haven't found any sure information about this so far. I've read there's an half day ticket (70$, morning 6:00-12:00, afternoon 12:00-17:30) or full day tickets (120$), but also that people is getting there at 10:00 and staying until late in the afternoon.

Does anyone know how this really works? Will someone kick me out at 12:00 if I take the morning ticket, or ask me for more money if I leave later? Thanks so much for your help!

8 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

They won't kick you out. There's no way for them to do that. But if you leave, like to use the bathroom, they won't let you back in. They won't ask for more money because they don't sell tickets at the site.

I don't think you can buy an all day ticket anymore. You'd have to get two half day tickets.

Francoforte...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Oh I see, thanks a lot for clarifying! Also, I didn't get whether the entrance and the toilets are closer to Aguas Calientes (before taking the bus up to Machu Picchu) or closer to the ruins themselves (after taking the bus). And cannot really choose whether to try my luck and see the sunrise, or choose the afternoon that seems to be left crowded. Though choice!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

The entrance and toilets are by MP, after the bus ride.

Mp doesn’t open early enough to actually see sunrise. It’s mountains. Sun is up way before it hits the site. You can see sun hit the ruins but don’t get the colors of a flat horizon sunrise.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

I visited early May last year and went in the afternoon one day, then the morning of the next day. (Two separate tickets.) The morning was far busier. The mountain looked cool in the morning mist, but that also meant no sunrise was visible. The afternoon had fewer tourists, far fewer tour groups, and no lineups for the bus or at the entrance.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
691 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Another vote for the afternoon entrance. We were astounded how few tourists were onsite by 2:00. When the shuttle brought us up for our noon admission, there was a huge line of people waiting to leave MP. Four folks in our tour-group went back on their own the next morning and said it was a mob scene and too misty to see much for hours.

1 post
6. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Hi. If I buy the Mountain+Machu Picchu ticket for the 9AM entrance, do I have to buy another ticket to stay for the afternoon?

I plan to go straight up to the mountain hike by 9AM. Since it will take 4 hours, then I will be on the citadel around 13:00. If I skip lunch and restroom break, I don't need an exist. Do you think I can stay and try to stroll around for picture time until 15:00? Read somewhere they also check your exit time :(

Thank you in advance

Francoforte...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Thank you so much for your answers! I'll probably consider getting there late in the morning, have a lunch and get in around 12am then. It sounds like, all in all, less crowded ruins are better than light getting to the spot in the morning...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu

Hi everyone if I want to hike to the sun gate - is it possible to go in the morning and then visit the ruins with the afternoon ticket ?

Reply to: Half day / full day in Machu Picchu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted