We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Travel

Washington DC
Level Contributor
125 posts
172 reviews
September Travel

My train (Vistadome) arrives into AC at 9:24 am on September 14th. Thru many posts it appears that guides are not necessary.

1) How much is the BUS ticket/where do I purchase it and is it R/T? Last bus back to AC?

2) How much are the tickets to enter MP? All day tickets or one time entrance?

3) If my train arrives at 9:24am is it feasible to visit the Citadel first (separate ticket?), have lunch (brunch) at the Lodge and do MP in the afternoon?

4) Train back to Urmbamba isn't until after 7pm so want to maximize my time w/out purchasing the incorrect tickets and missing opportunities.

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: September Travel

Hi,

1. Bus tickets are US $24.00/Round trip. You can buy them when you arrive in AC or in you prefer to buy them in advance at http://consettur.com/

The site closes at 5:30pm, this is when you should plan to take the bus down to AC.

2. Regular MP tickets cost 152.00/SOLES adult. It would be a good idea to buy them in advance at: http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

The lines to take the bus up to the entrance could be long. You could wait 30 minutes or more to get on a bus, then +- 20 minutes ride to the entrance. So you should be at the gate close to 11am.

I would recommend that you buy AFTERNOON TICKETS (2do Turno 12pm-5:30pm), but they will allow you to enter the site at 11am.

3. Yes, you are allowed 1 re-entry, you could visit the citadel, Come out for brunch & go back in for the 2nd visit.

4. You need to be at the train station 30 minutes before departure.

Enjoy!

1 post
1 review
2. Re: September Travel

The round-trip from AC to MP is $24. Again, with guides, I understand the desire to not want one in order to save money, but it is an inexpensive cost. If you understand what you're looking at once inside, then of course you won't need a guide, but otherwise, you'll just be looking at a lot of intricately placed rocks without understanding why. I don't think that's a good idea. I did that the first time I went, and I was kind of bored. The view was amazing, but the significance of this amazing place didn't hit until I returned in March with a guided tour with my family. I finally learned the things I should've the first time. The trip was incredible! It was like seeing through new eyes. I hope you consider this. I went with these guys: http://inkatrailexplorer.com/

To my understanding, you're considering buying two entrance tickets for yourself. Is that correct? I will admit I am a bit confused by this. Once you go in, you'll be in the citadel around 10:30 which is when people do the 2/3 hour guided tour. Your ticket would be good until 1:30/2, but if you exit right after your walk or tour of the citadel, then yes you would have to buy another entrance ticket to do the additional hikes. If you're ok with buying to separate tickets, then sure, sounds good. I personally would try to avoid that though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: September Travel

* You can hire a guide at the entrance. you could do a private tour or ask the guide to form a small group to share the cost. Around US$50.00/TOTAL.

You do NOT need to Buy 2 separate tickets. The problem would be if you buy morning Tickets (1er Turno 6am-12pm), then you may have issues to re-enter in the afternoon after brunch.

This is why I recommend that you buy AFTERNOON Tickets, which would allow 1 re-entry in the afternoon & you can enter the site as early as 11am.

Once you are Inside MP, you could stay as long as you want. There will be no one asking you to leave because your time is up.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
125 posts
172 reviews
4. Re: September Travel

Ok. Completely understood, Pa010. Quick question pertaining to the line for the bus. Does purchasing the bus tickets online/before my trip eliminate/reduce the wait time/line for the bus which you state could be in excess of 30 mins for a 20 min drive? Can it be walked?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: September Travel

Buying BUS tickets in advance would not reduce the wait time/line to board the bus. But it might save some time not having to do the line to buy bus tickets.

I believe there is a small processing fee to buy bus tickets online. If you are traveling with somebody else, one of you could do the line for the bus, while the other person gets the tickets. It is literally in the same area/place.

Yes, you can walk up the mountain (free) to MP entrance. It takes about 1 hour & it could be a strenuous climb considering the elevation. It is not a nice hike either; you are practically cutting along the road the bus takes. I would save your energy to walk MP citadel instead.

• In MP with the regular ticket you could hike to the sungate, this is where the hikers coming from the Inca Trail get their first views of MP.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
125 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: September Travel

Many thanks

Reply to: September Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted