We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three or four days for jungle trek?

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Three or four days for jungle trek?

I would love to hear any opinions or experiences with doing the Inca Jungle Trek using the 4 day, 3 night option vs. the 3 day, 2 night option.

We are currently considering:

* 4 day jungle trek

* 3 day jungle trek

* Lares 4 day trek

* 2 day 1 night "Short Inca Trail"

* Single day trip from cusco

Any comments about these options would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

5 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Three or four days for jungle trek?

I will first tell you what we did (on our own): shuttle from Ollantaytambo to Hidroelectrica but we got off in Santa Teresa. Stayed overnight. Next morning minibus to Lucmabamba and hiked via Llactapata to Hidroelectrica and Aguas Calientes. Stayed overnight and visited MP (+ hiked Montana) the next day. Overnight in AC. Walk back to Hidroelectrica. Shuttle back to Ollantaytambo.

If we had not done that: if you are short on time you can make it a day trip. I would make it a day trip from Ollantaytambo. If you want to hike up a mountain at MP you have to choose the late time slot for the mountain. Or you can also stay overnight in Aguas Calientes the night before. It really depends on how much time you have in the Cusco area. MP is of course great but there are many other great sites and hiking possibilities. You will want 4-5 days for Cusco, the Sacred Valley and MP and that is if you take the train to AC.

So assuming you have more time: I would not choose the short Inca Trail because I find it expensive for what is really only one day of hiking. It does give you a chance to enter MP through the Sun Gate late afternoon. You sleep in Aguas Calientes and the second day is for MP.

The Jungle Trek is all about adventurous activities and ends with the walk from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes. The 4th day is for MP. The three day trek is just a shorter version.

The Lares trek (I believe there are different versions) is all about cultural visits, meeting local people and seeing less tourists. You end up in Ollantaytambo day 3 and take a train to AC. The 4th day is for MP.

If I had time I would choose Lares from the choices you listed but that of course totally depends on what you are looking for.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
538 reviews
2. Re: Three or four days for jungle trek?

I would do the classic 4 day Inca Trail.

Book way in advance

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Three or four days for jungle trek?

Thanks for the comments so far. We are going in October so of course the classic Inca Trail is not available unfortunately.

We do currently have 6 full days in Cusco area.

Super rough itinerary (early planning stages):

Day 1 - Get acclimated/Cusco City

Day 2 - Sacred Valley Urabamba Valley, Ollantaytambo

Day 3 - Machu Picchu

Day 4- Sacred Valley/Visit Moray, Salt Mines and Chinchero

Day 5 - Humantay Lake Hike

Day 6- Sacred Valley/Pisac

Day 7 - leave early morning

Any general suggestions on what we are missing? Too long? Too short?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Three or four days for jungle trek?

I am a bit confused about your original question as it doesn't seem like you really have time for a trek.

Anyway, Ollantaytambo and MP are lower than Cusco. You will want two nights (three would be better) in Cusco before doing the Humantay Lake hike but it might be best to start with Ollantaytambo day 1 (so you go from low to high). Day 2 I would then do Chinchero, Moray and Maras salineras. Day 3 MP and train back to Ollantaytambo and minibus or taxi to Cusco. Day 4 Cusco. Day 5 Pisac (walk down from the top of the ruins to the town) and the ruins north of Cusco (don't miss Sacsayhuaman). Day 6: Humantay Lake.

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Three or four days for jungle trek?

Thank you, Sonia!

I really appreciate your expert advice. I have some more research to do on my own but may post again once I have the itinerary solidified a bit more.

Reply to: Three or four days for jungle trek?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted