We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Baltimore
Level Contributor
33 posts
47 reviews
Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Hi, all - posting here because the other threads on this topic seem to have be closed for a while. Anyway . . .

Our tour went, among other places, to M/P and the Amazon. We were not told of any insect attack issues at M/P. However, when we were walking through the ruins near the "plaza" I received bites from a couple of tiny black flies and, after word spread in the bug community, about a dozen more. They did not hurt, but there were tiny rivulets of blood down my ankles.

Although the tour had not recommended any insect repellent my husband had some DEET spray in his day-pack, and after a few sprays the bugs left me alone. I was not (so far as I know) affected in any long-term way, just some tiny scabs that have, a week later, mostly faded away.

No one else else in our group of about a dozen people was targeted; this makes sense as I am always the mosquito (and other bug) magnet! If you are a fellow-sufferer of this condition, I suggest long pants into your socks and/or an application of insect repellent before you go up to M/P.

6 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

MP is in a jungle area and insects are a norm.

Always wear long pants and use insect repellent.

I did the same when visiting Alaska, China,Egypt, Russia, South Africa, The Grand Canyon, etc

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
790 reviews
2. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Good reminder for Those who have not visited MP.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
33 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Agree - unfortunately we did not have this information.

Atlanta, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Thank you for sharing this information! It was something I hadn't yet thought of, so I appreciate your advice.

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

I'm a bug magnet, too. Someone said my blood type. O neg, is the cause.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
33 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu

Huh - I had not heard that before, but in fact I too am O-Neg., so that might explain a lot!

Reply to: Fly Bites at Machu Picchu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted