We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu in February

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Machu Picchu in February

The only time we can visit Machu Picchu is in Feb 2019. We know that the Inca trail is closed for wet season - and many of the leading tour groups (Alpaca Expeditions, Llama Path) also don't run the Salkantay trek for this same reason.

Does anyone have experience with a February visit and trek? Some lesser known companies still run the Salkantay trek, but we are weary because we don't know how responsible this is. The Lares trek is another option -- but how does it compare to the scenery on the main trails? With the Lares trek, does the train ride up to Machu Picchu itself dampen the experience?

Will Machu Picchu be obscured by clouds and rain?

2 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Machu Picchu in February

Nobody can predict at this time how much will it rain in Feb. Normally tropical showers, but it will be wet and no Inca trail available

Most visitors go to MP by train and enjoy it very much

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2. Re: Machu Picchu in February

I understand that - but I would really love some insight into the treks mentioned as I don't think we would do the train ride alone!

Reply to: Machu Picchu in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted