We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets for MP online

San Jose
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Buying tickets for MP online

Hi,

Someone told me that now these tickets can be bought online.

What is the web site and what was your experience? We arrive Sunday evening by train and I do not want to spend time on Monday morning looking for the ticket office.

If not possible online, what are the opening hours of the office, including Sunday.

Valley of Heart's...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

Hello, I am planning to purchase MP tickets for us directly on the Peruvian government's website but now I read that RyGuy had problem with purchasing using a Chase credit card. I intend to buy using a Capitol One Visa to avoid paying foreign transaction fee for adult tickets and hope I won't have any problems. Hope to hear more since you were able to purchase w/ your Visa no problem. I also still need to find a travel agency that will sell children tickets to MP + Huaynapicchu (as they cannot be bought directly at this website) without an exorbitant commission fee so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

It may be cheaper to buy the children adult tickets than to pay a commission.

As far as I know you can only buy the kid tickets in person.

As far as trying to purchase online, be sure to call both your bank and Visa the day you will make the purchase and tell them not to block the charge. Also enroll in Verified by Visa.

It still may not go thru, of course!

Edited: 29 March 2012, 16:41
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

We had to call Visa as our first attempt to charge online wasnt approved by Visa. Had to create another reservation the next day when our first one "timed out". Actually, I had to make a second the reservation, When I got to the payment screen, I called Visa and had them on the line when I pressed the pay button. Worked great.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 22:21
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

is it cheaper to buy it in Peru than through the website?

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

Just an update to this, as I know a lot of people are researching for an answer.

It's official, they are no longer accepting foreign payments from abroad on their website. Unless you bank with Banco de la Nación in Peru, that is the only way that you can reserve tickets online.

I had a rather difficult conversation with a representative from the Cultural Center that operates the site, but after I pushed she came back with the following:

My last note to them on a long thread:

This is the same response that everyone gets, it's all over blogs and your Facebook page about fraud and cloning of VISA cards.

This makes no sense. WHY is the website payment option still up and running when the ONLY payment accepted - VISA - is now cancelled for foreigners? I can hardly imagine that there are more than a few hundred Peruvians that want to visit Machu Picchu every year. What your basically saying is that you have an entire government website devoted only to in-country reservations and payments.

This is ridiculous. Do everyone the favor, either put up a notice "we cannot currently accepted payments outside of Peru due to fraud" or shut down the website.

Call Center callcenter@drc-cusco.gob.pe

11:06 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

Dear Alita

I understand your discomfort, but for safety of the user due to problems with stolen cards and cloned has suspended all types of online payments, you can only make payments on the Banco de la Nación in Peru

As soon as possible, we post a notice on suspension from online payments.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

Liz Leiva Mora.

CALL CENTER

DIRECCION REGIONAL DE CULTURA CUSCO

Facebook, Skype y Twitter: DRC Cusco Ministerio de Cultura Call Center

e-mail: callcenter@drc-cusco.gob.pe

Telefono: (51) 84 236061

Direccion: Av. de la Cultura Nº238 Condominio Huascar Wanchaq - Cusco, Perú

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

Thanks for the update. Really is too bad but not surprising, given the multiple problems with the website purchases from inception.

I would bet there is more to this than meets the eye.

So at the moment it seems we have a few choices...

pay a travel agent or hotel to buy tickets for you

Wait until arriving in Cusco or Aguas Calientes and buy in person

Reserve when arriving in Lima and pay at Banco de La Nacion?

Punta Arenas, Chile
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

Hola quisiera saber, si alguien ha ido a Machu Pichu los primeros días de enero y si ha comprado las entradas en aguas calientes que me aconsejan comprarlas con anticipación por internet son mas caras, o comprarlas allá ,,, o puede ser que se agoten en esa fecha...gracias

Edited: 26 July 2012, 00:38
Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

This is bad news I am going to MP soon but I want to book before I arrive in Peru. Any one know of a reliable agency that does not charge a steep mark up?

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

Hi. Im trying to get tickets for Manchu Picchu for my trip a month from now. We will have 4 people in our party. Is it recommended that i buy only the entrance ticket to the site or should I also sign up for a tour to take all of us to the site. Please help me. Thank you . Shelly

Thomasville, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Buying tickets for MP online

You can forget trying to buy them here: http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ because the site is always either down for credit cards or other issues.

So I found via another post on Trip Advisor this wonderful, wonderful travel agent:

Jessica Llontop Jurado

Pachatusantrek S.A.C

jessica@pachatusantrek.com

She responds quickly! I sent the money by Western Union and as soon as the money was picked up she sent me confirmation codes which I was able to print immediately after she sent them. We don't go until May 2013 so I'll let you know how it goes!