We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedition or Vistadome train?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Expedition or Vistadome train?

Our tour from US includes Expedition train to MP, but we can upgrade to Vistadome for $76 pp. We are taking a train from Ollanta Station. Is it worth the price to upgrade? Btw, upgrade to Hiram Bingham is $673 pp.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

Just take the best time for you schedule.

Personally I don't think the Vistadome is all that much better.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

The advantage of the Vistadome is that you can sit back and look up to see the gorgeous gigantic mountain range, some snow capped. Additionally, the train that I took from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes had the majority of seats facing forward. You can recline and relax without staring at a stranger's face opposite a table.

On the flip side, the Vistadome that I took from AC to Cusco was not as comfy. The majority of seat were quads around a shared table. The ride was so uncomfortable because you couldn't recline or stretch your legs and feet out due to someone else across from you. It was a late afternoon train so when darkness came, so did the view.

If you're allowed to take the Vistadome one way from Ollanta to AC, then I would recommend that option. However, the extra expense for the Vistadome on my return trip was not worth it, IMO.

Huntley, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

We travelled on the Expedition to and from Ollantaytambo on June 28th and had no problems at all. It is 4 seats facing a table and was slightly cramped but a great ride. Everyone was so excited so there was no complaining. They even serve a snack and drink and the windows are quite large.

ny
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

Thank you very much everyone for the comments. Considering everyone's comment + our ride is only 1.5 hr oneway, we have decided not to upgrade.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

Dear friends,

Travel in the Vistadome is worth it, because you go in comfortable leather seats, enjoy brunch prepared with Andean ingredients, it’s fun because you will see typical dances and will be well served by the crew on board, as well as the panoramic windows that makes your trip a pleasant and quiet journey.

Regarding to Hiram Bingham, this is a first class service that offers all the luxury and comfort, departures from Poroy (Cusco) station. The choice of the train depends on your particular tastes.

Here I leave you videos of the trains to have a clearer idea:

Expedition train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJCeeq11Bs

Vistadome train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-5XTPiUQg

Hiram Bingham train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5oPEY4z2ZM

Regards,

Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

We took both trains and did prefer the Vista, just because it was less bumpy and was 30 minutes shorter. There was also some fun entertainment put on by the crew.... But I wouldn't have paid 76$ a person. I think we paid $50 or $60 a person since we just booked it ourselves.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

I watched the videos. We are booked on the Vista from Olly at 7:45am to MP. (Returning on a train around 5pm.) I think that is only a 2-hour train ride. The videos show food or food service available on the train. Is that included or do you just go to a cafe car to buy your snacks? And on a 2-hour ride, do they still serve food and entertainment? Or is that only available from Porroy (4 hours)?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

Dear jlam12,

It’s really good you have chosen the Vistadome; your trip will be an unforgettable experience!

Don’t worry about the food and the entertainment, both are included in the ticket and you can also enjoy them on the 2 hours trip, so you can live all the experience.

Regards and see you on board!

9. Re: Expedition or Vistadome train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 13:16