We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking tickets online - not working

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking tickets online - not working

Hi there

We have been trying to book tickets for Machu Picchu using the official website at www.machupicchu.gob.pe.

We can get as far as successfully making a reservation and then taking the first steps to pay by credit card. However, every time we enter our credit card details, the website gives us a message reading "Operacion Denegada", i.e. Operation Refused.

We are aware that the website only accepts Visa cards that have been enrolled with the "Verified by Visa" service. Our card has been successfully enrolled, but still will not work for the Machu Picchu website. As I understand it, any payment process involving a "Verified by Visa" card should ask for the password associated with the card - I have noticed that the Machu Picchu website never asks for this password.

Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty? Are we doing something wrong?

All replies gratefully received!

Thanks

Tim

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I bought a ticket today and didn't have any difficulty... and they do eventually ask for the password. It's possible your credit card company is not allowing the payment because its from Peru. I had that problem when I started making arrangments for my trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I bought a ticket today and didn't have any difficulty... and they do eventually ask for the password. It's possible your credit card company is not allowing the payment because its from Peru. I had that problem when I started making arrangments for my trip.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

Thanks, we'll give the banks a call. We've never even hit the password stage... I wonder what our chances are of buying them in person in Lima, if all fails.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

Better to talk with your bank and buy it online.

You can also look into: Tickets to Climb Huayna Picchu at the upper right hand of this site to give you some tips regarding your tickets purchase

Sydney
Level Contributor
225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

Hi Tim,

We also had trouble and it did come down to the credit card company. Just had to tell them.

If you continue to have trouble u can buy the tickets in Cuzco. We did to-day to travel to MP in 2 days time. Cant wait.

Good luck with the planning

Lemont, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

Hi Everyone,

I've been having the same problems with paying online with my Chase debit and credit card. After some research on the internet with other travellers, it is apparent the only card the website will accept is a Bank of America debit card (not credit card).

If you have a Chase card you'll only be wasting your time.

Hope this saves everyone lots of headache and time - and best of luck in your travels to Peru!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

It is unneccesary to post this message on all the old threads, this one in particular as the current crop of problems started up in 2012.

BTW just because you read ONE post with someone reporting success with a BA debit card doesn't mean that other cards don't also work. Maybe you should just post a new message "Can't get a Chase Visa or Debit card to work for MP tickets".

Level Contributor
163 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I tried everyday for over a month with my Chase card and could never get it to work, even though it was Verified by Visa. I called my bank, I called the Machu Picchu call center, I sent e-mails but nothing could be solved. Sooooo, I can understand everyone's frustration. Finally, on a whim, I used a Bank of America card that was not Verified by Visa, and go figure, but it worked. Try other cards and I hope you find one that works. Good luck!

Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I bought tickets in 2 separate transactions in January. The first purchase went through straight away but I lost count of the number of unsuccessful attempts for the second transaction before it worked (same credit card). It seemed like a random error but I suspect that the ticket website only allows one customer at a time to link to the Visa website, and if someone is already using the link it's bad luck. So ... try at different times of the day, preferably when North/South Americas are sleeping.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

We've given up trying to buy tickets to MP on-line and can only hope that they will be available when we arrive in AC the night before. Wish us luck...