We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking tickets online - not working

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Booking tickets online - not working

Hi there

We have been trying to book tickets for Machu Picchu using the official website at www.machupicchu.gob.pe.

We can get as far as successfully making a reservation and then taking the first steps to pay by credit card. However, every time we enter our credit card details, the website gives us a message reading "Operacion Denegada", i.e. Operation Refused.

We are aware that the website only accepts Visa cards that have been enrolled with the "Verified by Visa" service. Our card has been successfully enrolled, but still will not work for the Machu Picchu website. As I understand it, any payment process involving a "Verified by Visa" card should ask for the password associated with the card - I have noticed that the Machu Picchu website never asks for this password.

Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty? Are we doing something wrong?

All replies gratefully received!

Thanks

Tim

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
11. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

You can look at how many spaces are available for the day you are going to be on the safe side.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
95 reviews
12. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

they should just go back to selling tickets at the door...their website is probably powered by someone sitting behind a PC ...hitting one button at a time....

california
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
13. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I am trying my Citicard Visa for august travel. I am having the same issue with the credit card not going through. I have contacted the credit card company who says they have not had any requests come through that have been turned down.

Sigh......what to do? Should I contact a travel agent in Peru? Anybody know who will help?

Ridgefield, Ct
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
14. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I was having the same difficulty with purchasing tickets online and also sent emails, called my bank, tried different cards... all with no luck. Finally looked in at tour company's and compared fees, I did not want to risk getting there and not being able to get in The timing and coordinating of transportation and tickets is important if you have hotels booked and an itinerary you are trying to follow. After reading multiple posts of similar difficulty I finally called agency and bought the train tickets, MP/HP tickets and bus transfers... although I hate to pay fees for something I should be able to do myself I am so relieved to have it done I guess it was worth it.

Good luck..

california
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
15. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

Do you have a travel agency that u recommend ?

Also I am thinking of going up around 2:00 one day to miss the crowds. And then back up the next morning for sunrise and hp. Does this make sense to do?

Ridgefield, Ct
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
16. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

I believe going into Machu Picchu twice means buying two tickets, but you should verify that.

I used Peru for Less to buy my tickets The agent I worked with was very helpful and responsive and had no issue that I was not buying their group tour.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
17. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294318-i3352-k505…

Try the last few pages for more suggestions

Edited: 29 May 2012, 14:45
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
43 reviews
18. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

We travelled to Machu Picchu in March and thought that we had successfully booked Huayna Picchu tickets.

Unfortunately not-Visa payment had not been accepted and when we arrived we were told we didn't even have access to the site let alone the climb - this was sold out.

The gate staff were not helpfull and wanted us to catch the bus back to Aguas Calientes to buy tickets but we didn't have a Visa Card only MasterCard.

We went next door to the Hotel Machu Picchu and the staff were soooooo kind they contacted the booking office and paid for our tickets and we reimbursed them using MasterCard - We climbed Machu Picchu Montana and had the best time - it overlooks Huayna Picchu and is such a wonderfull experience - met some beautifull peeps on the way. Takes almost 2hrs up!

Advice is get your reservation and check next day that the funds have been taken from your account - don't assume :)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
19. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

How nice of the hotel and lucky you! It would have been a disaster not been able to visit the ruins!

20. Re: Booking tickets online - not working

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:15