We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

I just got the following email from Condor Travel

" We wish to inform you that PeruRail has cancelled its baggage car service that transports tourists’ additional luggage to Aguas Calientes due to operational issues. As a result, we wish to remind everyone that PeruRail only allows one (01) carry-on baggage per passenger, and it must not exceed 5 kg. (Or 11 lbs.). Likewise, please note the Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu Pueblo Stations do offer free luggage storage services for your passengers".

So don't count on being able to take your large bags. I don't know if this is applying to all services including the Expedition but it would be good to plan for the need to store luggage.

106 replies to this topic
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
936 posts
1,060 reviews
1. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

I've seen this language on IncaRail, too. Ridiculous -- especially the idea of an 11lb limit, which makes no sense for a train. I challenge anyone to get their suitcase down to 11 lbs on an int'l trip!

Having not been hassled the last time I took this train, I'm assuming that if I just show up with a reasonable amount of luggage -- say what you could carry about a USA airline -- it won't be a problem. I guess it's nice they have free luggage storage at the station, just in case.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

We packed smaller bags and left our big bags in storage at our hotel in Cusco. I saw people on the train with larger bags, but most had smaller bags. I did witness a family pulled aside due to luggage size - I have no idea how that ended. But better safe than sorry.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

<<Having not been hassled the last time I took this train, I'm assuming that if I just show up with a reasonable amount of luggage -- say what you could carry about a USA airline -- it won't be a problem.>>

Well, the report is that they have changed the policy - or actually reverted back to the older one. Your luggage should be no bigger than a SMALL carry-on - like what would fit under a plane seat. For one or even two nights, you don't need everything you packed for an international trip! Just a change of clothes, toiletries & medications will do fine. All the hotels in Cusco & the Sacred Valley will store luggage for you if you stay there either before or after your visit to Machu Picchu, with no charge. Our Cusco hotel, the Rumi Punku, even had our luggage waiting for us in our new, re-assigned room after our 4 days on the Inca Trail & two nights in Aguas Calientes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

"I've seen this language on IncaRail, too. Ridiculous -- especially the idea of an 11lb limit, which makes no sense for a train. I challenge anyone to get their suitcase down to 11 lbs on an int'l trip!"

You're not supposed to bring all your luggage for the trip. Leave your luggage at your hotel in Cusco or the SV or at the station's luggage storage area.. Every hotel will hold luggage for you. Most people just go for the day or one night so just bring one change of clothes and a few essentials to stay under the limit. You can easily do that in under 11lbs each.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
936 posts
1,060 reviews
5. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

Oh, no doubt you could figure out a way to store luggage (even, apparently, at the station) but if you travel light to begin with and if you're switching hotels coming-and-going to MP, it's still a bit of a hassle. It doesn't seem unreasonable to be able to take a 22" rollaboard and a small day pack on a train ride that you've paid 60 bucks for.

I'll report back on my experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

Unreasonable is in the eye of the beholder. They don't allow it. That's really all that matters. Just because you don't find it reasonable doesn't mean it's not a rule. Apparently you feel the rules don't apply to you so go ahead and try it and maybe you will get away with it and worst case, you'll check it at the station.

It's really not that big a hassle to take three or four items out of your suitcase and put them in a day pack for the one night you'll be there. Having done it not that long ago, I fail to see how it is any kind of a hassle.

J L
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
34 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

Do they actually weigh the bags or is it more on dimensions?

I was planning on taking my 40L hiking day pack as I can easily fit things for an overnight in there, but at 3.5 lbs for the backpack, 1.5 lbs for the camera/equipment, and 1.5 lbs of bottled water, I'm over halfway to the limit without clothes or a jacket for evening hours. The bag easily fits under an airline seat or comfortably in my lap for a few hours, however, so if it's dimensions, I am fine (I might be anyway, but I don't know what my clothes weigh).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

You won't need a jacket. It's warm in Agua Calientes. Much lower than the sacred valley and very jungle like. If needed, just wear it on the train. And you can get water in AC and they serve drinks on the train so no need to carry much, if any, with you.

And a change of clothes shouldn't weigh 5 lbs anyway so you will be fine

Edited: 07 August 2014, 22:09
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

Just back from MP yesterday (in Cusco now). PeruRail does not weigh your bags. Some passengers had airplane carry-ons but most people (including us) had backpacks. Don't worry about being hard core at 11lbs. But there is no place on the trains or buses for large bags so leave them at your hotel. Our hotel in Urubamba transferred our suitcases to our Cusco hotel for free.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail

Just back from MP yesterday (in Cusco now). PeruRail does not weigh your bags. Some passengers had airplane carry-ons but most people (including us) had backpacks. Don't worry about being hard core at 11lbs. But there is no place on the trains or buses for large bags so leave them at your hotel. Our hotel in Urubamba transferred our suitcases to our Cusco hotel for free.

Btw I disagree about the jacket. It rained a lot during the 24 hours we were at MP/AG. Highly advise a rain poncho to cover your bod and pack.

Reply to: For all those people who want to bring luggage on Peru Rail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted