We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Hi there, Just wondering if anybody has travelled recently from NZ to Rarotonga and taken food with them. I have tried looking up several websites for these answers, but have had no luck so thought I would try Trip Advisor. We were mainly considering taking BBQ meat as we are a large family and I had heard that the meat was expensive. We also plan to dine at some of the wonderful restaurants, but not every night!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Hi

Lots of info on this forum. Have a look at this thread for a start and also do a search for other info.

tripadvisor.com/…16609689

If you have any further questions do ask.

The main thing is - no fruit, vegetables or seeds. And declare everything - make a list to give to customs.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,886 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Hi love2create,

Welcome to the Cook islands forum.

You are certainly asking the right people. Many of us from NZ take food with us to Raro each time we travel - I've been doing so ever since Air NZ commenced a commercial operation into Raro!!!

Pack a chilly bin with frozen meat, or vacuum packed if you wish to go to extra trouble. Itemise everything to declare to Cook Is Agriculture. Dont need an export permit from NZ MAF. Just check in with your chiily bin or cooler bag as part of your bagggage allowance. What you cant take into Raro is any fresh fruits or fresh veg. Commercially packed veg is OK. Fish is OK as well.

Cheers.

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Great advise thank you!

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

Thank you Frangipani08. Perfect advice! I was very unsure as it is such a no-no to other countries. Having a few nights in around a BBQ will mean that we can go out other evenings. Can't wait till my 2nd trip to this beautiful piece of paradise. Thank you once again.

5. Re: Taking Food into Rarotonga from NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 02:16