We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather December

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Weather December

Hello -

I have been reading all sorts of sites on the weather in Fiji in December. None are really answering my question though. I realize this is the wetter season but what I cannot really determine is what does that really mean in the tropics. I know the weather is not predictable but in late December on average what might we expect near SavuSavu (staying at Namale)? Is it non stop rain dawn to dust, frequent down bursts with sun in between, afternoon downpours? Just trying to get a sense. We typically travel during shoulder seasons or early into a wet season so some rain does not bother us. Typically what we have experienced (Thailand, Tahiti, Costa Rica, Bali, ect) have been afternoon down bursts which usually go away by dinner. For us this is no problem. That is nap time anyway ;o) I would just like to ask for any specific feedback on what others may have experienced in this area in the late December timeframe. Thanks so much!!!

2 replies to this topic
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,011 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather December

SavuSavu is a wet area of Fiji. Hence it's lush tropical jungle. Generally you would get a tropical downpour at least once a day then the sun will come out and it will be very humid an steamy. The cooler months are the best time to visit this region. If their is a low weather depression over Fiji then it will rain and rain hard not just in this area but over most of the islands. The island off the west and north west coast of Fiji tend to be the driest areas and have a much lower rainfall than the areas to the east, south east and north east. Of course these areas too are subject to 'lows' in weather and get heavy rain too.

We have been to Fiji for Christmas the last 3 years and on occasions prior to that but have stayed in the western Mamanuca islands. We have been lucky and have only had occasional daily downpours but have watched the storms over the mainland (Viti Levu) while basking in sunshine. Wish we could predict what will happen but we are chancing it again this year for Christmas and into January. Fingers crossed!!!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather December

Thanks so much! Wish I had my crystal ball ;o)

Reply to: Weather December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vanua Levu