We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Which Croatia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,454 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

will have 2 or 3 nights to visit 1 or 2 islands. Not looking for beach holiday.. more interested in history, architecture.

I wanted to visit Vis but others in party are not keen on the longer ferry ride and want to be convinced that Vis is the best choice. So help me please why Vis over Hvar? We are all over 60, fit enjoy some hiking, good food and wine, not into parties LOL

Other options are 2 nights Hvar, one night Korcula or one night Hvar and one night Korcula..or do 2 nights Hvar and then do Korcula as a day trip from Dubrovnik.

any help appreciated as to sorting which island/s to visit.

will be coming from 3 or 4 nights Split and going to 4 nights Dubrovnik..plan to do day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik.

would pick up the extra island night by changing Split from 4 nights to 3..hence the flexibility.

Murter Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

If you like history and/or party, then Hvar. Vis is a nice island, but it was military zone until the '90 and it didn't have time to develop tourism. It's quiet and very nice and a very good place for a peacful vacation. Hvar is much more crowded...

Durham
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

If you are interested in history and architecture Hvar followed by Korcula is the best choice.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Yes, if your main interests are history and architecture , than Hvar and Stari Grad will be much more interesting. And Korčula of course.

And don't cut off any day of Split, because you will have to visit Salona (Solin) and Trogir from Split.

Hvar and Korčula are very well connected by catamaran, timetable good for a daytrip to Hvar from Korčula but not vice versa.

It is more reasonable to go from Hvar to Korčula and then proceed to Dubrovnik, than a day trip to Korcula from Dubrovnik.

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Are you going by car or without car because it is very difficult to conect all that if you are with car.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Vis is beautiful and part of that beauty is its remoteness. However, one night could not do it justice so may be save it for next time and do Hvar and Korcula this time. I visited Vis on my first visit to Croatia 5 years ago and it was a highlight. I didn't make it to Korcula until last year and it didn't match what I felt for Vis perhaps because Korcula Town is so crowded. Hvar is generally more touristy as well.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
31,043 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Agreed that you are better off with the history part in Hvar or Korcula. I also loved Vis when I went there for the first time last summer and I will definitely go back, but if its history you are looking for then you are better off going to one of the other places.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,454 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

Thank you all. We won't have a car as we plan to drop it in Split. Am going to post complete itinerary soon and hope to get comments about specific spots to stop not to be missed etc.. or your personal faves. Looks like it's Hvar and Korcula.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,124 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

i wouldn 't miss vis and ride a scooter all over, soyou can get to all tne small beautiful coves.

9. Re: help re: islands why Vis instead of Hvar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 14:20