We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

Saranac, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

We're planning a trip starting in Rome, going by train to Florence and Venice. We'd like to visit Istria - family roots are there - and then go on to Split & Dubrovnik. and take the ferry from Split across to Pescara and the train from Pescara to Rome.

The questions we have are

1. What's the best way to get from Venice to Istria? Ferry and then rent a car in Istria?

2. If we rent a car, can we rent in say Pula and drop off in Split w/o a huge fee?

3. Is taking the ferry from Split to Pescara and then the train to Rome fiesable?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

Hi,

Maby I can help with some informations -

1. Getting to Istria from Venice is not as easy as it seems - there are no ferrys, just boats for tourists excursions, so you would have to contact some local agency and buy the ticket for the whole excursion-- cca 40 euro per person... so my advice is that you get on a train from Venice to Trieste (cca 2 hours), and then on a bus from Trieste to Umag (cca 45 min),Poreč, Rovinj,Pula..it won't be so excpencive, and you'll get ther relatively fast

2. of course you can rent a car in Pula and leave it in Split, but first check the possibilities online, just to be shure

3. yes, there is a direct line from Split to Pescara, just check the local ferry lines online...

Hope you'll have a great trip! And if you have more questions check out our non-profit facebook page "All about Istra" and we will answer your question the same day!

Regards,

Marta

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

There are ferries between Istria and Venice. http://www.venezialines.com/

But the fares are expensive and it is cheaper the get the bus or bus and train.

Croatia
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

apart from venezialines.com , check also adriatic-lines.com &

commodore-cruises.hr

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

Venezia Lines operates ferries between Venice and Istria usually from mid-April - going to Porej, Rovinj, Pula and Rabac. These are not tourist excursions and you can buy one way tickets. see venezialines.com/our-services/…venice-istra - prices and times not yet up for 2012.

Car rental drop-off fees are not so bad so long as they are within the same country.

Look up SNAV, Blue Line and Jadrolinija for ferries back to Italy - I am not sure if I heard that the Pescara crossing wasn't being run this year - Bari and Ancona are still on tho'.

Saranac, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

Thanks to all for your replies. This at least gets us started in the right direction. Cheers,

Tom

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

1. Yes you can take a ferry from Venice to Istria. We went from Rovinj to Venice last summer.

2.We rented a car in Split then drove to Plitvice then over to Rovinj and there was not a hugh drop fee. I did however have to pay a sizable security charge of some sort that was automatically refunded on my charge the following month.

3.Very feasible. We took a three hour train from Rome to Bari then over to Dubrovnik and it was great fun.

7. Re: Venice to Istria, Split and Dubrovnik & return to Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 05:20