We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucharest trip in January

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
Bucharest trip in January

Hi all,

I will be visiting Bucharest for four nights at the start of January.

I was hoping to get some recommendations of things to do, should I just base myself in Bucharest for the whole stay or should I be staying near Bran Castle for a night when visiting there? Thank you!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
1. Re: Bucharest trip in January

You should stay in Bucharest for one day (it's enough for the main sites: the Palace of Parliament, the Village Museum and the Old Town) and spend the other three in the Brasov area.

Bran castle isn't the main attraction there, Peles castle in Sinaia is more interesting; but in three days you have time to visit both.

Also do a day trip from Brasov to Sighisoara and another one to the fortress churches around Brasov (Prejmer or Harman)

When you go to Bran try to visit Rasnov fortress and the bear reserve near Zarnesti if open.

Edited: 30 September 2017, 18:33
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
2. Re: Bucharest trip in January

So stay somewhere in Brasov for the majority of the trip?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
3. Re: Bucharest trip in January

Yes, ideally stay in Brasov itself, but if you prefer rural areas (and will have a car) you could also consider villages around Bran.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
4. Re: Bucharest trip in January

I would be relying on public transport on my trip, is this ok to get to these places?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
601 posts
460 reviews
5. Re: Bucharest trip in January

Yes, all are easily reachable by public transport. But then it would be ideal to be based in Brașov, as most buses and trains to these places leave from Brașov (or only pass through Brașov).

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
6. Re: Bucharest trip in January

Thanks.

I see the trains to Brasov offer both first and second class tickets.

What is the difference between these classes and is it worth paying over double the price? Can an international student buy a student ticket?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
7. Re: Bucharest trip in January

The main difference is that first class has three seats per row, while second class usually has four - so no, it's not worth paying the difference.

What's really important is the TYPE of train: you should use InterRegio (IR) trains, not Regio (R).

Student discounts are only for those enrolled in Romanian universities or schools.

If budget is a problem (and even if it's not, it's simpler that way) you could buy the ticket in advance online, there are discounts of up to 30% depending on how far ahead you book (maximum is a month), on https:/…loginuser.aspx

Edited: 07 October 2017, 15:30
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
8. Re: Bucharest trip in January

Great, thanks so much for that!

I'll really only have three full days in Romania, so is it best to get a train straight to Brasov as soon as I arrive? My flight arrives in at 6pm. Or should I stay the night in Bucharest and see the city, then spend the rest of my days around Brasov before flying out of Bucharest again?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
9. Re: Bucharest trip in January

Considering your arrival time it might be better to spend the first night in Bucharest; try to visit the Old Town in the evening. Don't get accommodations around the train station.

Then next morning take a train to Brasov and go see Rasnov and Bran (minibuses depart hourly from bus terminal 2, near the city stadium), get back to Brasov in late afternoon and visit the medieval quarter around Sfatului square |(preferably get accommodations in that area)

On the second day go to Sighisoara and back.

Early on the morning of the third day take a train to Sinaia, visit Peles castle then either take a train to Bucharest (and visit some more of the city in the afternoon) or a shuttle directly to the airport if you're in a hurry.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
158 posts
128 reviews
10. Re: Bucharest trip in January

thanks so much!

I was looking at the Ibis by the North train station, is this a poor choice of location?

where is the best area to stay in Bucharest? Would the Doubletree in the business district be very far out?

Edited: 07 October 2017, 16:54