We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Bucharest

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Bucharest

Hi there,

I’m moving from the UK to Bucharest in 2 months.

I’m going to be working near the Polytecnic University and wondered what the commute from Herastrau by public transport is like? Is the metro easy to use? Any tips for a new expat greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Bucharest

You can take the metro from Aviatorilor station (south-east of Herastrau park) on line M2 to Unirii station and switch there to line M1 till Grozavesti or Petrache Poenaru stations, respectively M3 till Politehnica station (depending on where around the Polytechnic you will be working, it’s a vast area).

Driving, using taxis or buses/trams will all take considerably longer than this.

The metro is fairly easy to use. Get a monthly pass (costs 70 lei).

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
200 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Bucharest

The metro is your best bet for getting around Bucharest. Surface traffic is very crowded and because there are no designated bus lanes, buses get stuck in traffic just like normal cars.

But the metro is pretty straightforward to use, the map is simple. It gets crowded between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM and again around 5:00 - 6:00 PM but overall it's OK.

Uber and taxis are the next best alternative, they are fairly cheap.

You should be fine overall. Most expats I talked to seemed to think Bucharest is a good city for them. Most people speak English and the city has an active social and cultural life.

Level Contributor
595 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Bucharest

Get to the dubliner pub full of expats they will help with advice etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Bucharest

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Bucharest

What do you think of the Floresca neighbourhood? It’s looking like I will be living in there when I move.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Bucharest

It’s pretty good overall, just that the central part doesn’t have direct access to the metro.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Bucharest

Ah ok, so I’m going to be near Parcul Sportiv Dinamo so walking to Stefan cel Mare looks like about 10min walk? Alternatively Google maps is telling me I can take RATB on Caleb Dorobantilor as the fastest option to get to Politehica?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Bucharest

It’s OK then, you can indeed walk to Stefan cel Mare and take the metro (or tramway 1).

The times on Google Maps may be valid now (Sunday, low traffic) but on a weekday it’s definitely faster to go by metro.

Bucharest, Romania
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Bucharest

From Herastrau to Militari ( Polytecnic University) best choice is 41 tram! It's crowded in the morning( the metro's crowded, too and you have to make a connection in Piata Unirii with a long and crowded tunnel to walk), but it's very fast and straight! It has it's own rail - no cars over it!

Reply to: Moving to Bucharest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted