We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renewing a Romanian Passport

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Renewing a Romanian Passport

My friend is a Romanian citizen living in Denmark. He has an expired ID card and passport, and he's also since been married and divorced.

My question is this:

Supposing he were to fly back to Romania on a travel title issued by the nearest embassy, what would he need, in terms of documents and so on, to renew his passport AND how long would it take, assuming it were done in Bucharest?

The same question holds for renewing his ID card.

Any takers?

28 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

For the ID card he needs the expired ID card, birth, marriage, divorce certificates, birth certificates of children (if any) and proof of residence (property deed, rental contract etc.). Getting it would take about one week; there s a 7 lei tax.

For the passport he needs a valid ID card and the expired passport. Getting a short term passport (1 year validity) takes up to three days and costs 98 lei; a normal one (5 years validity) takes up to 10 days and costs 258 lei.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

Thank you so much for your rapid reply, alterme.

Now, I should clarify -- in his case, my friend was married and divorced in Denmark, the facts of which he himself never registered in Romania.

So my expanded question is -- would he actually need to present any documentation concerning his marriage or divorce, considering it neither took place nor was registered in Romania?

My other query is -- you say he needs a valid ID card in order to renew his passport. Assuming this wasn't possible or feasible under his circumstances (to have a renewed, valid ID card), is there another way to renew his passport WITHOUT this?

Thanks again.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

In that case, I guess he can skip bringing the marriage-related certificates.

As for the other query, the idea was that he would travel to Romania, get a new ID card and then a passport - which would take slightly over a week, up to 10 days.

He could try to get (from the consulate in Copenhagen) a passport for Romanian citizens residing abroad; for this he mainly needs a document that proves he is residing legally in Denmark (residence permit , work permit etc.) and his birth certificate. When he picks it up he has to turn in his ID card, but I don't know if it matters that it's expired or not. Also, receiving this type of passport might take longer than getting it in Romania.

It might be better to ask directly the Foreign Ministry support center ( http://copenhaga.mae.ro/node/258 ).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

Thank you once more for the additional data.

Due to the time-sensitive nature of his case, I think the only option he'll have is to physically return to Romania (Bucharest) and apply from there.

I'll have him bring his marriage/divorce-related documents but hold off on presenting them unless asked.

Part of the challenge he has is that he'll only have about a 4-5 day window (maximum) of time while in Romania to get minimally his passport in-hand, for international travel purposes. Hence my thought was, based on your instructions, to see if he could skip his getting a new ID card (as that seems to take longer), and simply get a 1-year passport. This will serve his travel purposes and he'd be able to further renew or upgrade his passport (and ID card) later on.

Could you clarify, in the above case, what he could do if he strictly wanted to obtain a 1-year passport, without the ID card?

Thank you.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

He can't get a standard passport (i.e. a passport for people residing in Romania) without an ID card.

Like I said, if he is living in Denmark legally he can get a passport for Romanians residing abroad (pasaport CRDS). Apart from other papers, a Romanian ID is required but I'm not sure if it matters that it's expired or not (it will be retired anyway). Although it might take longer, if he doesn't really have enough time to go to Romania I guess this is an option too.

If he can't travel at all, in theory he should do this:

1) go to the consulate and request a travel title

2) using this travel title as ID, draft a letter of attorney (procura) to someone in Romania and have this letter authenticated by the consulate

3) send the above letter to Romania and have the person granted power of attorney deliver the necessary papers for the ID card in Romania

4) receive the ID card in Denmark and request a passport at the consulate

Out of curiosity, did he try calling the numbers at the consulate ?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

Thank you for clarifying that he needs to have a valid ID card in order to be able to apply for a standard passport. That's more clear now.

Just so I'm left with no misinterpretations on my part, does this also apply to this "1-year passport" I've heard about? In other words, would he need a valid ID card if he were only applying for a passport of 1-year validity? Could not his birth certificate or some such documents be sufficient? Or would it be enough that he has at least an expired ID card (as opposed to having to renew it first)?

To answer your question, he's actually visited the Romanian Embassy in Copenhagen a few times recently. As you pointed out, trying to get his passport from there via the Embassy will be a slower process, that he can't afford right now as he needs to be able to travel internationally preferably in a week or less.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

A valid ID card is needed for both the short-term and the long-term passport.

At most he can go to Romania, get a hearing with the head of the local registry office, invoke a serious reason (not tourism) and ask for a speedy ID card release.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

Okay, fully understood now. Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

alterme, I've actually wound up having another question. I hope I don't disturb you with all of this extra questioning!

I've heard, but not confirmed, that such legal-type services in Bucharest are faster than the same services in other Romanian cities / municipalities -- is this true? If so, why?

I refer, of course, to such things as renewing travel docs.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Renewing a Romanian Passport

The duration varies (though not by much) based mainly on how many employees the respective registry office or passport service has.

Reply to: Renewing a Romanian Passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest