We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in St Petersburg in July

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Week in St Petersburg in July

my husband and I are spending Mon - Fri in St Petersburg. We have been 2 times previously and have seen most of the main attractions - Church of the Spilled Blood, Hermitage, Peterhof. He will be doing research during the day and I am looking for interesting things to do on my own while he's in the library. Any suggestions? I don't speak Russian.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in St Petersburg in July

Hi, Lisa,

what are you mostly interested in: museums? architecture in general or of a special style? history? monuments? suburbs with former tzars' residences (beside Peterhof)? just walking outside or going inside attractions? If you could narrow down your interests it would be easier to give you suggestions.

- Museums: Russian Museum (Russian art only), Ethnographic museum, zoological museum, Сabinet of curiosities, art galleries around the city...

- Churches&Cathedrals: Kazan cathedral, St.Isak's cathedral, Smolniy cathedral, synagogue..

- Art Novue (Modern) style: Dom Knigi (main book store, corner Nevsky pr, Griboedova kanal), Eliseev's store (Nevsky pr, 56), stroll along Kamennoostrovsky prospekt (from metro "Petrogradskaya" to metro "Gorkovskaya")...

- Canal boat trip

- historical places: Peter&Paul fortress, Summer garden (if you're in SPb after May when they supposed to open it after reconstruction), Michael's castle...

- suburbs: Pushkin with Catherine the Great Palace and Park, Pavlovsk...

- at the evening, ballet at Mariinsky theater and/or Mikhailovsky theater...

Shanghai, China
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in St Petersburg in July

Hi Svetakoshka,

Can you provide more information on the canal boat trip? I will bring my daughter to SPG in late June. Do I have to book in advance?

Many thanks.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in St Petersburg in July

Hi, Flowerflower,

There are plenty of small piers along any canal/river in the city where you can buy a ticket and get on boat. You don't have to buy in advance (unless you're with a big group and may be want some special route - which is not your case, I guess).

The routes are a bit different, but really it doesn't matter which one to take. I personally, don't really like those routes that take you mostly along Neva river - the river is rather wide and you can't really see much details of the buildings from the boat. So, I prefer rides along the small rivers/canals: Moika, Fontanka, Griboedov canall, etc.

Prices: last summer it was about 400-500 rubles per adult and about 350-400 per child. The closer to the Nevsky prospekt you board a boat, the more expensive it is. Most of the rides are about 1 hour long and the boat doesn't make any stops, it's not a hop-on\hop-off thing.

Most of them have tours in Russian only. There are two or three companies that have tours in English, one of them, for example http://anglotourismo.com .

Here's one of the examples of possible routes http://spb.2gis.ru/news/1268/ but they are not limited to these two!

In late June you'll have a chance to take night boat tour to see drawing bridges over Neva river. You'll find information at the same piers as for the day tours. And you can search TA for reviews.

Shanghai, China
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in St Petersburg in July

Thanks for the useful information!

5. Re: Week in St Petersburg in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:42