We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Washington DC...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Wanted to get out and see the city, national, park and canal on our 10 hour layover at Tocumen Intl.

1. Taxi cost? Or would someone recommend a good tour service for the day?

2. How does baggage work from customs if we leave for the day and come back?

3. What are some recommended restaurants near the airport that would be good?

If you have any experience, I would love to hear from you on this! Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Question: I have a four hour layover, on my way to Peru. My hope is that I will be checking all bags through to my final destination. Do you have to collect bags and check them through again at the airport?

Also, how far is the panama canal from the airport. If I took a taxi, would I have enough time during my four hour layover?

Thanks!

12. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 February 2012, 16:35
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

travelburghr -- Four hours is not enough time to see more than one place. And, hiring a tour company to do so is rediculous, unless they will charge you less than the cost of a taxi.

As for seeing the Canal -- it all depends on what time you arrive. The visitor's center stops admitting people at 4:30 pm and closes at 5:00 pm. You can easily spend 1 or 2 hours going through the museum and watching the ships go through the locks. But, you won't have that much time. So, skip the museum and the video and go see the locks.

Your luggage should be checked through to Peru. So, you shouldn' t have to worry about rechecking your luggage. Even so, it will take between 15 and 45 minutes to clear immigration and customs. Since you won't have luggage, it should go faster.

Taxis are easy to grab at the curb, just outside baggage customs. (They'll generally grab you.) Depending on the time of day and the day of the week, driving to Miraflores will take 40 minutes to something well over an hour. It will be about the same, coming back. Keep in mind that Panama's evennig rush hour starts about 3:00pm when the lunch rush hour ends. Traffic can be horrendous. The cost for a taxi (each way) will be about $30 to $35.

You can make arrangements for the taxi to wait for you, or you can set a time for him to pick you up, or take your chances on getting a taxi when you're ready to return to the airport. Taxis come and go frequently.

You should have just enough time to get to the locks, see a ship and get back. Just keep an eye on the clock and leave yourself enough time to go back through security and board a half hour before your flight leaves. In any case, you don't have time for a "customized tour."

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Hi,

Last year you mentioned you were traveling through Panama City/Tocumen airport and that you would look to see if they have lockers at the airport. Did you have a chance to check if they have them?

Thanks

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Per this recent thread - rea

tripadvisor.com/…31079110d #1 - there are lockers available.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

Your $40 entrance/exit fee is included in your air fare.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

You will have to pay the $40.00 entrance/exit fee per person if your final destination is not Panama, it will NOT be included in your ticket if you leave the airport. Be aware they only take CASH, so just have it on hand. Enjoy !

18. Re: Tocumen airport Taxi/ Day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 05:19