We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not get ripped off (taxis)

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Panama City, Panama
1 post
Save Topic
Do not get ripped off (taxis)

It enrages me how many times I hear about people (mostly tourists) getting ripped off by taxis.

If you are taking a taxi, to almost anywhere (as long as it stays inside the city boundaries) It should cost around 4 dollars on average, 5 or 6 dollars if you are travelling with a lot of people or it is farther away than normal (you will be able to tell if you see long high way like roads, for example going to albrook mall). One time I even heard of someone who got charged 100 dollars for a fare from Radisson Decapolis to the historical center of the city, which should not go over 4 or 5 dollars.

A ride from the airport, to almost anywhere in the city should cost around 30-40 dollars.

PS there have been several assaults made to taxi passengers lately. To stay safe, specially at night, try to call cab service.

--Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes I made, I tried to make this quick.--

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

Thanks for the heads up!

I try to take the bus, even to and from the airport. There is a limited stop express one from near Cinco de Mayo and it is air conditioned. When I arrive at the airport stop, i give my card to someone who wants to get back to the city. If I arrive at the airport without a card, I still can use the old school buses with cash or just pay someone to swipe a card for me.

Sadly, tourists will always be ripped off. Businesses use fearmongering to get tourists to use private transportation at inflated prices, stay in overpriced hotels, get unneeded medical drugs,etc. Maybe people who fall for all that should just arrive and throw their wallets down.

Thanks again for you valued info. .

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

Key to taxis in Panama, always ask the price before getting in, you wont get a surprise later.

If the price seems out of whack wait for the next one, never get in a taxi waiting in front of the hotel or mall. Try to hail one in the street

At night - yes call a service if you can and they will dispatch one, might be a little more, but again ask before you get in.

If it is raining all bets are off, if the price is close to what you expect -take it, trying to get a taxi in a down pour is tough.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

$40 from the airport to downtown is a rip-off. The base fee is set at $26 and every taxi driver knows this. Add $.50 per additional passenger and the tolls for Corredor Sur and the price, including a tip, is $30.

Every taxi driver is required to carry a fare map in his taxi. (Not many do.) Actual taxi fares are not $5 - $6. From one zone to another should be no more than $1.50. Going from Casco Viejo to El Cangrejo or the financial district is more like $4 for 4 people. El Cangrejo to Albrook (mall, bus terminal or airport) no more than $5. El Cangrejo to Miraflores $7.

Of course, as CDY commented, when it rains, all bets and prices are off.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

I asked questions about taxi fares on this forum before our trip so we had an idea of what was realistic. When getting a taxi we always asked the fare before getting into the taxi and it worked out perfect. The only time we were quoted an unrealistic fare was at the Marriott Hotel Panama City when the bellman tried to get us to take the hotel taxi. We asked what the fare would be, he told us, we laughed, and walked out to the street and hailed a yellow taxi. This forum is great for being fairly educated when traveling to PC. Cherie

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

100 usd from decapolis to historical part of the city.. wow.....

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

I have been in Panama 2 times, always call tourist taxi, Octavio, he is honest and reliable. (507) 65079103 or (507) 62209603

buck lake,alberta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

Can you call Octavio before you leave Canada and have him meet you at the airport? Does he speak English?

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

Yes, he will meet you at the airport, I always call him before.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
613 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

What is the normal cost of a taxi from Metromall (Courtyard Marriott) to the airport? We can go out on the street and hail a taxi to save money, I know it would cost more from the hotel.

millstone township...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not get ripped off (taxis)

my family of 4 will arrive 11:00 PM at airport and need to get to hotel for one night. then from PTY to Colon for a cruise the next day. do you have recommendations for this?