We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Jaibalito

Bombay, New York
2 posts
Travel to Jaibalito

I am a 67 year old female travelling to Guatemala in March. What transportation mode do you suggest I use to get to the dock at Panajachel.

11 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

Will you be traveling from the airport, a hotel in Guatemala City, a hotel in Antigua? Budget? If you can afford the cost, private shuttles are wonderful - you get to pick the schedule, make planned and unplanned trips en route (Iximmché Maya site, view points, bathroom or food breaks), and ride in comfort. Cost from GC might be $100-120, less from Antigua. Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Our favorite private driver, Alfredo Garcia, is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles; his wife Jane is a well-regarded tour guide and they can both be reached here: http://www.mayalandiatours.com/

If that's more than you want to pay, let us know your departing point so we can help you better.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,788 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

You can take a direct Rebuli bus from Guatemala City to Panajachel and walk or take a tuk tuk to the dock:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29200…

You can take a shuttle (for example Adrenalina Tours, Atitrans...).

You can take a taxi or ask your hotel in Jaibalito to arrange a taxi for you.

You can go with a private driver.

Bombay, New York
2 posts
3. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

Thank you so much sounds much better than bus

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

The above advice is good if you're traveling directly from Guatemala City to the lake, but most tourist go first to Antigua and spend a night or more before moving on to the lake. Antigua is reached easily from the airport by shared shuttle (about $10) or taxi (about $35), and it's a good place to relax after your flight, get a better feel for the country and its culture, obtain a cellphone plan, get Quetzales for the next phase of your journey, etc. From Antigua a shared shuttle to Pana will run about $15, or somewhat more for a less-crowded shuttle booked through Antigua Tours.

Hawke's Bay Region...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

Do you recommend a particular taxi or shuttle from the airport to Antigua?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
331 reviews
6. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

If I arrive at night I generally have my little hotel in Antigua arrange a driver for me. If I arrive during the day I use a share shuttle ($10-12/pp, might need to wait for the van to fill and to drop off other passengers in Antigua). Also, there are links to agencies in Post 1, above.

Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

I have taken a shuttle van from Antigua directly to Pana several times. You can arrange to be picked up where you are staying in Antigua. Get off in Pana and then walk or take a tuk tuk to the dock area. Then you will need to take a public boat from Pana to the dock at Jaibalito. Be careful as the boats do stop around 4 or 5 pm. It's maybe 15 mins on the boat. Awkward to get in and out of the boats there.

It is really easy! Make sure to have Guat money as last time I was in Jaibalito there was no ATM.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

Ask the shuttle driver to drop you off at the dock.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

It is possible to book a shuttle to Panajachel direct from Guatemala City without going through Antigua.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Travel to Jaibalito

OK; the original post was about travel to Jaibalito in April 2018, which was promptly answered in some depth. Then there was a subsequent post to this thread in September asking about a different topic, i.e., transport to Antigua from the airport, which also was quickly answered. Now, a month later the thread has resumed with answers to the original poster, who presumably completed her travel months ago. What’s the point? [That’s rhetorical; please don’t answer.]

Reply to: Travel to Jaibalito
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua