We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy season

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 posts
2 reviews
Rainy season

My sister and myself are heading to Antigua on Sept 29,2018. It says to be raining the week we plan to stay (maybe longer, maybe less, because we're just backpacking through americas).

I am just wondering, doe it rains all day or in intervals? Are we going to still be able to do outdoor tours? What else can is there to do if it is raining? Will the rain be consistent, or at least usually is it?

Thanks so much

5 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,721 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Rainy season

In my experience the mornings are usually gorgeous and it rains some days starting in the afternoon or evening. I plan active outdoor things to start in the morning and pack a light raincoat if I'll be out all day, even though there's not a cloud in the sky when I head out. I generally don't let the rain stop me from doing what I want to do. Happy trails!

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Rainy season

Thanks so much for the advice!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Rainy season

I am just finishing a 2 week trip to various parts of Guatemala, including Antigua and happy to say that this is a fairly "dry wet season". The weather forecasts were pretty daunting but its proven to be pretty nice most of the time.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
968 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Rainy season

Antigua on average over a full year gets about as much rain as Seattle or Buenos Aires. But, almost all of it occurs in a six month period. So if you think about the rainy season being twice as rainy as Seattle or Buenos Aires (there is a third US city with comparable rain but I am not remembering it right now), that might help, if you know either of those cities. I am wanting to say those three cities are all around 40 inches or one meter of rain per year.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Rainy season

I left Antigua on 11 September and really did not notice rain. It was forecast every day and it may have had showeres for an hour or so every few days. There was only 1 torrential downpour at San Marco that lasted 2 hours. I did tours that may be weather impacted in the morning as its generally dry. Take a rain jacket and you will be fine.

Reply to: Rainy season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua