We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?

Texas
6 posts
Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?

I am wondering if there are American banks in Guatemala... specifically in Antigua? I heard there was a Citibank branch there but can't find it on Google. Also, are travelers checks accepted by the Guate banks and how much do they charge to cash them? Do Spanish schools accept dollar dominated travelers checks? Appreciate any info.

3 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
969 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?

You are in luck because Guatemala is in the Americas and guatemalans are americans just like you; you'll want to be clear on that before you go down there and run around calling yourself 'American.' Therefore, all banks in Guatemala are american banks. Now if you mean US banks, there are few foreign banks, and the five biggest guatemalan banks account for a very large percentage of assets held, around 80% last I heard. I have never seen a foreign bank in either Antigua or at the lake and do not believe there are any.

Traveler's checks can be cashed at banks with little problem (bring your passport), but why? Traveler's checks are virtually obsolete, receive worse exchange rates, and have no real benefit. I doubt schools would take them.

Edited: 11 October 2018, 11:26
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?

That's incorrect. Travelers checks are changed at a better rate. https:/…default.aspx But you will have to take the time for the bank to get all your info recorded.

I always stressed with my students that everyone in the Western Hemisphere is an American. But I've come across plenty of Guatemalans who refer to US citizens as americanos rather than norteamericanos. Better to be correct, but not the biggest faux pas around if you forget either.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
969 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?

Mostly they refer to US citizens as 'gabachos.'

Reply to: Does anyone know about American banks in Guatemala?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua