We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

virginia
Level Contributor
796 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

I will be in Sinaia and Brasov. Which is the best town to begin my drive on this highway. It was suggested to do this drive from south to north. Which town would that begin at. I would do this drive end of Sept. Thanks. Eleana

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

The south end (Capataneni village) is about 3 1/2 hours drive from Sinaia, the north end (Cartisoara village) is about 1 1/2 hours to Brasov.

It's indeed easier to do it starting from the south. So drive Sinaia - Pietrosita - Campulung - Curtea de Arges - Capataneni and start from there.

virginia
Level Contributor
796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

Hi there: I'm having trouble going from Sinaia to Pietrosita to Campulung, can't find a good map to get me there (what roads) and are there signs from Sinaia to Pietrosita.. Once I reach Capataneni village how long will it take me to drive up to Cartisoara village. I will then be driving to Sibiu (how long will that take) Thanks. Eleana

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

You could use Google Maps.

Drive from Sinaia to Pietrosita on DN71 road, from Pietrosita to Voinesti on DJ712 road and from Voinesti to Campulung on DN72A (or Pietrosita-Targoviste on DN71 then on to Campulung on DN72A).

Capataneni to Cartisoara takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, Cartisoara to Sibiu about one hour.

virginia
Level Contributor
796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

Thanks for your help. I have figured it out and will go from Brasov to Cartisoara Village to the lake and back and then drive to Sibiu. It will be such a long day. Thanks again. Eleana

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

Yes, that's an option too.

Brasov - Cartisoara - Balea lake (or did you mean Vidraru lake?) takes about 2 1/2 hours, Balea lake - Cartisoara - Sibiu about 1 1/2 hours.

virginia
Level Contributor
796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

Will I miss a nice part of Transfagarasan from Balea Lake to Vidraru Lake. Or is it enough to do Cartisoara to Balea Lake-back up and to Sibiu. Thanks. Eleana

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

Cartisoara to Balea Lake is enough if you don't have time for more.

Province of Rome...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

If you go Cartisoara to Balea LAc, you'll miss Vidraru Dam and lake. It depends if it's a priority for you

9. Re: Transfagarasan Highway-where to begin from and end

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2018, 00:15