We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very short trip to Brasov

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Very short trip to Brasov

Hello

I am going to be in Bucharest in the end of February or beginning of March. I need to do something there and afterwords I will have more than a full day free (from about noon to about 4PM the next day - then I have to be in the airport for my 6PM flight).

Since I've been in Bucharest already I thought of renting a car and going to Brasov / Brasov area for 1 night. I will be with my 8 years old kid, and coming from a warm country, snow will be very attractive for us.

Do you think it makes sense? Is there enough time to see a bit of Brasov centre when we arrive and play a little in the snow somewhere around Brasov the next morning?

If you have other recommendations I am open to any idea.

Thanks in advance!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

It's a very good idea. You can drive to Brasov in the afternoon, visit the downtown in the evening then next morning drive back to Busteni or Sinaia (maybe take a brief look at Peles castle), take the cable car up into the Bucegi mountains (spectacular views, plenty of snow), get back down and drive to the airport.

The only problem would be if you have to drive to Brasov on Friday afternoon or to Bucharest on Sunday afternoon, traffic is very congested then.

Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

Hello AnatNat, a short trip to Brasov would be relaxing. I would advice to check the weather reports in that period - coming by car can take longer in case of heavy snow and even longer, if you come on a Friday (many people go skying in Sinaia or Busteni for the weekends, cities which you will pass through on the road). It would be a pity to stay in the car and also risky not to catch your flight back (it take with good luck 3 hours on the road, 6 im total)

On the other hand it will be a beautiful escape - if you plan to hike Tampa mountain, you can do it only by feet and you need good winter equipment; You can get anyway a nice view from the Citadel or the white and black tower - your short trip would be to shortly visit the city and sleep here.

If you want to relax, I would recommend to stay in Busteni and enjoy the winter season.

Hope it helps :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

Thank you very much!

Maybe it is better not to get as far as Brasov - I don't want to risk missing my flight.. (at least it's in the middle of the week, it's not a weekend).

Where will it be nicer to stay, Sinaia or Busteni? It might be nice to visit the Peles castle but I understand there's nothing much to do in Sinaia other than that?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

I haven't noticed that Busteni and Sinaia are really close, I can visit Peles anyway.

So which one of them will be nicer to spend the evening? Are they lively in a mid-week winter night?

(I travel with a child so I am not looking for bars or anything, but still it's nice to be in a lively town)

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

If you're travelling during the week and the weather is OK (check forecasts on http://vremea.ido.ro/Brasov.htm a few days before) you shouldn't have any time problems getting back from Brasov itself.

But anyway, if you're mainly interested in winter scenery you could stay in Busteni.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

I do like beautiful cities and I think Brasov is one. I will book flexibly at both Brasov and Busteni and decide according to weather.

Thanks!

Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

Also, Busteni and Sinaia are pretty close. If you decide not to go to Brasov, you can make these two. Go and visit the Peles castle (Sinaia) and/or the other day Cantacuzino castle (Busteni). See below visiting hours

https://peles.ro/program-si-taxe/

http://www.cantacuzinocastle.com/homeeng

In both cities you have the possibility to go up with the gondola to have a beautiful view over the cities. In Sinaia you can taste some romanian food at heigh 1400; in Busteni you can hike after taking the gondola to the Sphinx.

infotravelromania.ro/ski-tarifetransportcabl…

muntii-bucegi.ro/en/cable-transport-busteni/

I would recommend to go to Babele platform and Sphinx (Busteni) and visit the castle in Sinaia. But it is your choice depending on the time you have.

Enjoy!

Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

One more thing: Think of packing much warmer clothes in Sinaia or Busteni than Brasov

Edited: 11 January 2017, 16:33
9. Re: Very short trip to Brasov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2018, 01:15