We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Hello,

We will be in Romania in Dec/January '18.

We start our tour in Vienne/Bratislava & then few days in Budapest.

My question: We have almost 2 weeks left before we take flight home from Bucharest to Cape Town. After lots of investigation, I think we will rather take the train versus a car, as we are not used to drive in snow and we are not in a hurry. We like the idea of enjoying the country side and not stressed out of finding a place, driving ourselves.

It is my understanding that there is a train leaving from Budapest to Bucharest, which is our end destination.

Can someone please assist and let me know if it is practical / are there trains / where do I find the info / to travel from Budapest to Sibiu. (stay over for 3 days), then take train to Brasov (stay over 3 days) then take train to final destination to Bucharest.

It seems as whether you can buy one ticket from Budapest, which then stops and Sibiu and Brasov - are you allowed to get off the train and get on the train with the same ticket 3 days later?

Will it be possible to do this first leg (Budapest to Sibiu) on the 25th of December or do I rather need to travel on the 26th? We prefer the day train.

Your advice will be highly appreciated! (we are a couple without children)

regards Marinda

Constanta
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

For informations on trains from Budapest go to :

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

There are trains that stop in Sibiu, Sighisoara , Brasov . I took a night train . Buy your tickets in Budapest when you arrive there . I got my tickets with a considerable discount but I don't know if the offer is available if you buy the tickets in Budapest.

Buy only for your first destination in Romania and buy the rest of the tickets in Romania . It will give your schedule flexibility and you may find a bus is more convenient between certain places and for me it was less expensive. A ticket that allowed for stops during the train journey was almost double in price than me getting the offer to Budapest and the tickets from Bucharest to my town separately.

Buy yourself food for the journey and water.

For information on romanian trains and buses go to

http://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en

http://www.autogari.ro/?lang=en

As far as I know trains don't stop runing because is Christmas.

For information about Romania read:

http://romaniatourism.com/

Edited: 07 March 2017, 03:49
Constanta
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Book your accommodation in advance. It will be hard to find a room during that time of year .

Constanta
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

The region of Oltenia where Horezu is is not very advertised but is wonderful , there are monasteries, caves , pottery, resorts with water used to treat numerous diseases and of course the other famous mountain road Transalpina. There are a lot of things to see and it has a different feel to Transilvania , Moldova or Maramures. It is worth take it in consideration for a future visit .

Romania
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

You can also consult the Hungarian Railways site in English for schedules and prices from Budapest

https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/uf?language=2&i=BUDAPEST*&e=Sibiu&d=2017.12.01&mikor=-1&u=1156&go=

You'll be able to check the exact details for your travel dates in a couple of weeks. They're too far in advance at present.

As mentioned above, best to use http://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en for train journeys train journeys within Romania, and to book these separately.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Thank you - I am busy booking the accomodation, hence the reason that I am trying to find out when I will/can arrive via train

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Thank you Vanderlost - my problem is that I would like to book my accomodation and I am worried that if I assume I can travel within a day from Budapest to Sibiu, then it might not be the case and my accomodation is paid in full and not refundable. That is why it is so important to know that the trains run every day, even on 25 and 26 December and that I can depend on travelling within a day to Sibiu.

Is the train actually stopping first at Sibiu and then continuing to Brasov? Or is it travelling from Budapest to Bucharest, Brasov and then only Sibiu?

Constanta
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Trains from Budapest to Bucharest take different routes . Some pass through Sibiu and Brasov and stop there and I also think there are trains that originate in one of those towns and don't go all the way to Bucharest.

The order is Budapest- Sibiu-Brasov -Bucharest. If you do your search using Budapest and Bucharest as stops but you plan to stay in Sibiu pay attention to intermediary stops and make sure the train does not take a different route.

The train will most likely have delays . Mine arrived in Bucharest almost 1h late.

You still have plenty of time to book .

Edited: 07 March 2017, 16:41
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Thank you so much Dariana2! So I can do book my accomodation so long and then sort out the trains - I will then book my first night away from Budapest to Sibiu - do you think if I leave for example leave 25 Dec Budapest in the morning, that I will be able to sleep the same night of the 25th in Sibiu? (I am always scared that they cancel half the trains because it's Christmas) I really appreciate all you help!

Constanta
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

I think you are too much in a hurry. You still have months to book accomodations and trains . Take some time .

Right now there is a direct day train that arrives at Sibiu at 20.21 . Take the night train in consideration. Is a shame to lose a day on the train .

Timisoara, Romania
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Sibiu, Brasov and Bucharest

Hi,

All trains from Budapest run every day, including Christmas, but keep in mind that the train schedule changes around December 20. For these trains, usually there is not much change, but check the Hungarian site (and also book your tickets there), rather then bahn.com, which is not always up to date.