We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Tampa and Brasov

sheffield england
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
40 reviews
53 helpful votes
Mount Tampa and Brasov

We are planning a trip with our three grand children, ages 20, 19 and 18. We will spend some time in Brasov before embarking on the Transfagarasan. I've had a look at Brasov and the area and see that there is a cable car up the mountain. We are keen to do this, but our grandson has a 'thing' about cable cars, i.e. he doesn't like them.

The mountain doesn't look that challenging to walk up, and he's very fit so he says he's going to walk up, by himself if necessary. I'm not so sure about this. I know that Romania has a very large number of bears, in fact our son was there recently and took a photo outside a restaurant, of some lovely, but very large dogs, that are kept apparently to scare the bears away.

I would have thought that this area is probably quite busy and touristy, and I know that more often than not, bears are quite scared of humans. Even so ........

Anyone out there walked up this mountain, and encountered a bear. Much as I would dearly love to see bears in the wild, maybe not on the path we're walking up.

Colombia
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
241 reviews
177 helpful votes
1. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

It's a running trail - we were there yesterday. Go and enjoy.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
2. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

Hi, there are at least two easy marked trails (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours) and several unmarked ones going up Tampa hill; as pointed out above, they are used mainly by locals for jogging but there's usually plenty of tourists on them as well .

Although it's not totally impossible to encounter bears, hundreds of people run these trails daily without any issues.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
40 reviews
53 helpful votes
3. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

That's really useful information, thanks all. We'll have to see how the weather is, we are in our 70's but recently completed a 10.5 mile hike in the yorkshire dales, with some very serious uphill in it. I am pretty sure we could manage this without too much trouble, provided it's not too hot. Otherwise it'll be ride up and walk down for the oldies. I would hope, being in the mountains, it'll be a little cooler than in the city, but mid July, who knows.

Colombia
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
241 reviews
177 helpful votes
4. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

Hi, I have been running around the area including up and around d Tampa this morning. Quite a few people, and it is such a lovely area. Yesterday in another area I jogged in one our and then back, hardly saw another person.

I guess there could be bears though, expanding on my first post. At the trail heads for Tampa there are signs indicating which animals you may run into, including bears and lynx's. I am guessing it's unlikely though as I sae quite a few people, including school kids.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
40 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

It does seem that, as the trail is very popular, bears may keep their distance. They'd attack if cornered I'm sure, but from our walks in the west coast of the USA the advice was always make a noise so they know you're coming, don't creep up on them. They'd want to avoid you if at all possible.

I'm pretty sure we'll all be fine, and from what I've read it's not that arduous of a walk, the kids could probably run it for sure.

Ireland
Level Contributor
437 posts
6. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

As a sort of update on your bear question..

Today's Sunday Times has a big article about towns like Brasov being " overrun by a plague of bears".

Slightly scarey.

Colombia
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
241 reviews
177 helpful votes
7. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

I will let you know if I see one, as I am out running every day....

Ireland
Level Contributor
437 posts
8. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

Bicks - Don't just report if you have seen a bear.

Also report if you have not seen one - otherwise one may think you've become bear lunch.

And..just to be sure to be sure there are no bears... ...instead of running in the day, walk slowly at night with some fresh meat in your hand.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
40 reviews
53 helpful votes
9. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

I know about the problem with bears in Brasov. My son was there a few weeks ago and he has a photo of himself with two very large, beautiful dogs, outside a restaurant. Alaskan Mamalutes I believe. He was told that they have them to deter and keep away the bears.

Humans, food and bears. Not a good combination. But it's the same with any wildlife really. Leave food about, or worse actually feed the wildlife and eventually you are going to have a problem. With some wildlife, it's just a nuisance (seagulls especially), but bears are a whole different issue.

Colombia
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
241 reviews
177 helpful votes
10. Re: Mount Tampa and Brasov

Karlovassi. I ran up for sunset yesterday, and what a stunning view at that time. From the knoll above the Brasov sign where they have two viewing towers was the best.

I ran up to long route around and then down the real zig zag route from next to the sign. There were lots of people running, walking and cycling.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.