We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang Prabang hotels

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
Luang Prabang hotels

Hi

I will be in LP for just under a week in September and am currently looking at a hotel to book.

Could someone please suggest at least the area I should be focusing on? Somewhere very safe (lone female traveller) and within walking distance of hustle and bustle. If you can also recommend a specific hotel (mid range) for me to research, that would be fantastic.

Thank you so much.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Generally speaking, Luang Prabang is a safe and relaxed city. However, I have read that crime is on the increase in Laos, partly due to the influx of relatively affluent tourists, I suspect, so it is sensible to take the usual precautions. But I have never felt unsafe walking around the city late at night on my own, although being a man and somewhat larger than the average Lao person probably helps.

As for where to stay, there are plenty of options close to the action, within the old town area. I prefer to avoid fancy hotels in favour of good quality guesthouses as I don't spend much time in the hotel whilst travelling and I think they offer much better value for money. The staff are also likely to be very helpful. When I was last in LPB, in February, I stayed at the Villa Oudomlith. It normally gets very favourable reviews and I would stay there again. It has a great location on a side street off the bottom end of the main tourist street, although is not without its shortcomings (mainly noise; choose an upstairs room). See the reviews on TA.

A liitle further away from the main drag is the Namkhan Riverside. I stayed here last year and it was excellent, although I note that recent reviews have been mixed.

Your best bet is to search on TA and use the filters (distance, facilities, and price etc) to see what is available and what people think about the accommodation that is on offer.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
147 reviews
2. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Just to be clear, most of the main sights in LPB are within walking distance of each other and are concentrated in the narrow strip that runs close to the Mekong, generally SW from Wat Xiengthong at the end of the peninsula (near where the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers meet), past the Royal Palace Museum and Phousi Hill to the market area near the tourist information centre and the post office. Next to the latter (to the west) is an area of budget/backpackers accommodation, which you should avoid if you are looking for something more mid-range.

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
3. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Philip M - Thank you so much! Now I know which area to research.....

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
4. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

A few weeks back we stayed at Jasmine Hotel. A new boutique style hotel with a small pool. Just five minutes walking distance to “main street”. Noticed quite a few ladies staying there. Excellent in all aspects at a good price. Google for more information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
5. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Thank you but Jasmine is fully booked for my dates.

Can anyone tell me whether Thongbay is too far out or whether it's an easy walk to everything please? Thank you

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
147 reviews
6. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Susie, Thongbay would be too far out for you IMHO, if you intend to rely mainly on walking. But tuk tuks are cheap in LPB.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
147 reviews
7. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

The reviews for Thongbay mention a 30-minute walk, which sounds about right to me, but also say there is a free shuttle...

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Philip M thank you; Thongbay just looks so lovely and has fabulous reviews. Someone suggested the Golden Lotus which doesn't look as lovely but is very central so maybe I should go for that.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
147 reviews
9. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Susie, yes, the reviews for Thongbay are very good, as are those for the Golden Lotus, which is very close to the market area and in an excellent location. Inevitably, it's always a trade-off when booking accommodation, but this sounds like a good choice to me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
10. Re: Luang Prabang hotels

Thank you Philip