We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

Hello, guys as I am going to visit Luang Prabang in a couple of weeks and I would like to know if it possible to enter tourist attractions with short pants/ knee length pants. Do I have to wear long pants that cover up all my legs to enter the Wats in Luang Prabang like the wats Xieng thong and the national palace museum.

Thank you

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

Simplest thing to do is take a wrap.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

So this means that they don't allow shorts right?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

You do realise the temples are places of worship? Would you wear shorts in Westminster Cathedral? Calf length shorts would be acceptable and no string tops.

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

Hi

In Asia we always wear light cotton long sleeved tops and long pants - it is much easier simply to be polite, and my partner always carries a scarf in case she needs to cover her head. If we are aware and prepared it is recognized and appreciated by the people whose country we are visiting as is learning a little language to be polite which is also welcomed wherever we travel.

We had a great time conversing with Sicilians in Palermo last year, they really appreciated the effort we made, and the lady we booked our Ha Long Bay cruise with also appreciated our polite words in Vietnamese in our emails.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

When visiting Buddhist temples (and the one in LP are temples used by the locals) you should wear tops with at least short sleeves and a minimum of 3/4 shorts.

I have seen tourists walking in with bikini tops and short skirts and shorts, seeing the faces of the locals they were not too impressed.

So it would be good if you consider the dress code when visiting Laos.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

Shorts seem to be acceptable in most wats if the shorts aren't too flashy and you behave respectfully. Being an older male also helps. One exception is the royal palace and my impression is that that is more culturally motivated then religious.

7. Re: Luang prabang/ Laos Dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang