We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
queluz portugal
Level Contributor
113 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Hi guys any help?

I will be at Dubai airport from 04.35 to 09.35 Dubai airport I suppose in quite near the city centre. Can i get out for some short tour? How can I make this possible? All tips are welcome.

tks

Fremy

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Too early in the morning, not much will be open. However, you may be able take a quick taxi trip for an hour (max) or so and get back. Timewise it is cutting it fine. You may need 90 mins to get out, and you have to be back at least 2 hrs before departure of connecting flight.

queluz portugal
Level Contributor
113 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Hi Vasu tks a lot for your tip.

fremy

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

With your timeframe I don't think I'd bother and most things will be closed at that time, Dubai airport has a lot to keep you occupied so I would stay there.

queluz portugal
Level Contributor
113 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Hi Cherelia. tks for your tip which i will take into consideration

fremy

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

I have frequently spent 4-6 hours in transit at Dubai, I suggest heading down to the old terminal (Terminal 1) as it is much quieter than Terminal 3 but has similar shops etc. Getting through the transit queue can sometimes take a good 40 minutes itself and you board 40 minutes before so you have already lost two hours there. There is also wifi in the airport too so that gives you something to do.

Dubai is not worth seeing at 6am and given the traffic, unless you get the metro you run the risk of traffic delays assuming you want to visit Downtown (Burj Kalifa) area which is over the creek.

queluz portugal
Level Contributor
113 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

hi getcarlos tks for your info. I have already been in Dubai but for only one day. Have seen a lot but now i was just trying to burn my 5 hours at the airport. I will not take my computor so wifi will be useless. I will take into consideration your advice. tks

fremy

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Hi latimer, My flight will reach 6am in the morning and next flight will be on 14:40, am i able go to dowtown and also burj khalifa? or any other you recommend me to visit within that 3-4 hours (excluding tranport time)?

Many Thanks for your advice.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Is your question only for Latimer or can other people answer?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

Timewise, yes you can visit BK, maybe have a quick look around Dubai mall, get something to eat before you run back to the airport. You need to be in the airport at least by 12:30. Getting out of the airport may take anywhere from 30 mins upwards, depending on your passport and validity. Alternatively you can relax in one of the airport lounges and do some dutyfree shopping.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hours at Dubai airport in transit what to do?

@ loop, u could also take a taxi and have him drive you to Burj AlArab, then to Palm Jumeirah (the view of the Atlantis emerging as you drive up the trunk is spectacular) take some pics and drive back to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa.

If that interests you, I'd do Burj AlArab and the Palm first before Dubai Mall to avoid mid morning traffic. Your taxi can drop you off at Dubai Mall, you can walk around, have breakfast at any of the restaurants on the waterfront at the foot of Burj Khalifa. Then take another taxi back to the airport (about 20-30 minutes by taxi from Dubai Mall depending on traffic).