We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Vina del Mar

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Wedding in Vina del Mar

I just got engaged and I'm planning on getting married in Vina del Mar in January of 2008. My parents are both from Chile, but they are just getting to know the country again after many years away. I have no idea where to start looking for places or information. I will be going to Chile this January to find everything (church, reception, etc...) Does anyone have any tips, information?- Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,528 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

Congratulations, Lena! If you are getting married as a US citizen here, you should check with your embassy about paperwork you might need as a non-redident. The groom too if he is from the US.

You need to book a church. The popular ones get booked quite far in advance. Perhaps you have relatives in Viña who can help with this.

Most people rent a 'casa de eventos' for the reception or have it in a club or hotel. If it is a casa de eventos you usually have to order the catering separately.

That's what I know about weddings!

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
2. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

Hey Molly,

Thanks for your message. Could you tell me if you know the names of the "popular churches" and any casas de eventos? I would like to get a head start on the places I'll visit when I get there in January.

Thanks!

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

Hi Lena:

Congratulations. You are very ahead in time which will help you, so you’ll probably be able to get the places you really want.

One quick note regarding legal and “religious” documentation.

Marriage in Chile (and the rest of South America) is different than in the US. In here anyone with a license can marry you. And ceremonies are non-denominational if you like.

In Chile you first have to get marred by civil law (matrimonio civil). This is done at any Registro Civil. You just request an appointment for the date and time you want and you pay a small fee and a Civil Judge will perform the ceremony. Only judges can marry in Chile You can also pay a bit larger fee and have the Judge come to your house or where your planning the wedding and will perform the ceremony there (this is nicer than having it at city hall). You just have to arrange for someone to pick him up (most likely the relatives of the following wedding that he will attend will pick him up at you place). Any way, this is a short and not very personal ceremony in which you need (2) witnesses but since you are not a resident (as pointed out before) you will have to check what are the requirements,

After a civil wedding you may have a religious wedding if you choose to. This will depend on you religion. Most people in Chile are Catholic therefore they in a Church. You are required to be married by civil law before. Also, Catholic Church requires for you to have a pre-nuptial course (charlas pre-matrimoniales), you might be able to have them in the US and get a certificate that you pass the course. But you should ask this at the church that you will pick. When it comes to picking churches is not that easy either. You are supposed to get married at the church that corresponds to the area you live in. You can choose a different one, but first you have to register in the one in you neighborhood and ask for a transfer to the chosen one.

There is also some paperwork required such as a baptism certificate issued by the church where you were baptized (If it was in the US you have to try to find it) again, asks these questions at the church.

Bottom line is there is a lot of planning to do, it’s not as easy as in Vegas. It if you are Catholic, you must do this. If you are not religious, you can just have the civil wedding.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I hope this information helps you.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
4. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

VIAJANDO:

Thanks for all the info. I am planning on a Catholic ceremony, so I guess I have to get started on the "charlas" with my fiance. You gave me some really great questions to ask when I get there. I had no idea it could be so complicated.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

Don’t get scared, we all go thru this, so it’s doable. You just have to know which are the steps to follow, so nothing catches you by surprise. But again, you’ve got lots of time so you’ll be fine.

Good luck!

6. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2007, 14:36
7. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2007, 17:19
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,528 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

Again, this is the same person who was trying to advertise a few days ago. Same web address.

9. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 08 January 2007, 18:12
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Wedding in Vina del Mar

DM

I've noticed that too and have been reporting them. It seems they have signed on recently with several different names.

Get answers to your questions about Vina del Mar