We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arica to Lauca

Joinville, SC
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Arica to Lauca

Hi everybody,

I'm planning a trip to South America this year, going to Arica for my 2nd time. I was reading and found Lauca amazing. From Arica i know there's one bus per day to Putre. But Putre is more than 30km away from Lauca park.

How can i get to Lauca from Arica and not spend a lot of money (i'm not interested in agency trips) ?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Arica
Arica
Arica and Parinacota Region, Chile
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Arica to Lauca

hi, Just to remind you one more thing. I have read some news about Chile government is currently working on the inter continental highway between Chile and Bolivia to improve the future traffic. You need to keep in mind the potential traffic delay because the working progress.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Arica to Lauca

Hi, I remember now the truck driver dropped me off at highway 5 north side. The taxi passed the El Morro de Arica on the way to city center.

Mentioned in this post
El Morro de Arica
El Morro de Arica
1,281 Reviews
Arica, Chile
Joinville, SC
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Arica to Lauca

Hi, so the trucker stoped near the Terminal Rodoviarío Arica ? Or did he go more to the north? Thanks

Edited: 15 July 2016, 12:21
Mentioned in this post
Arica
Arica
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Arica to Lauca

hi. I think my truck driver got off highway 11 and drive into highway 5 south which is the main road of Arica. He drove few minutes and stop at far north side of Highway 5 which is in the Arica area but not in the city center.

Mentioned in this post
Arica
Arica
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Arica to Lauca

Hi,

We visited Lauca this October from Arica without spending too much money. First we took the bus to Putre. You should then spend a night in Putre to avoid altitude problems, as the park is at 4500 m over sea level. There are many cheap hostels.

Then, we tried to hitch-hike, as we heard it could work. It didn't after 2 hours. However, there are a few bus that go to Bolivia and therefore go to Lago Chungara, in the national park. They stop at a stop on the junction of the highway and the road that exits to go to Putre. Ask the locals for the time. You can pay 2500 pesos (4$) and ask that they drop you at the lake. Make sure they stop where the CONAF sign is since they droped us off at the Bolivian border 10 km later... (but we could hitch-hike easily from there).

Then you are at the amazing Lago Chungara!!

Mentioned in this post
Arica
Arica
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Lago Chungara
Lago Chungara
317 Reviews
Putre, Chile
26. Re: Arica to Lauca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2017, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Arica