We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for a day in Arica

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
50 reviews
39 helpful votes
What to do for a day in Arica

Our cruise ship is stopping for a day in Arica in Nov-Dec 2017. I would rather not pay for an overpriced shore excursion...any ideas? Will the beaches be ok? Any interesting hiking or other site we could do on our own or with a local guide?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
402 reviews
408 helpful votes
1. Re: What to do for a day in Arica

You should climb the 'Morro'. There is also an interesting archeological museum at San Miguel de Azapa, a suburb.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
50 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: What to do for a day in Arica

Thank you. I always like to at least swim or paddle in the ocean I am cruising on. Are there any nice beaches in or near Arica?

How is El Laucho Beach?

Edited: 11 October 2016, 14:22
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: What to do for a day in Arica

The Chinchorro beach is amazing.

As for something to do for one day, I would recommand the Chinchorro beach if you like beaches. If you have an interest for archeology and pre-columbian cultures, you should definitely go to the Museum of Archeology San Miguel de Azapa. There you can see mommies from the Chinchorro culture, with the oldest ones being 6000 years old! Way older than the egyptians ones. You can easily get there taking a collectivo from the city.

4. Re: What to do for a day in Arica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2017, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Arica