We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Which Suzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Coming from Beijing on overnight train, I will have one night in Suzhou (staying at Mingtown-Suzhou Youth Hostel in Pingjiang Road) and the following day will be going to Hangzhou.

How would you organise your time in Suzhou to include a trip to Tongli? Would you visit Tongli on the day of arrival or go the next day in the morning before coming back to Suzhou and travelling on to Hangzhou?

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

It won't make that great difference to tour Tongli on your arrival or departure day. Personally prefer to do Tongli first on arrival and then focus on Suzhou tour in the balance times to avoid too much transfers on the same departing day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Thanks John, I see your point about avoiding trasnfers on departure day. Tried editing my question but wasn't able to. I arrive in Suzhou on a Sunday (17 June).

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Although you didn't ask (and I am going to comment anyway) Department :-)

I would spend a full day at Tongli and at least a full day at Suzhou, avoiding the gimmicky canal boat ride and instead seeing four or more gardens and the Buddhist Monastery west of town. Hangzhou is highly overrated for westerners who are used to large open-space parks with clean lakes and pretty clean air. It is of special interest to the Chinese, making it "China's favorite tourism city" because it is so rare in an urban, easy-to-get-to place in China.

If you are a fan of green tea, then Hangzhou has a special draw, as is the West Lake Impressions Show. Otherwise it is not so unique or a great draw for westerners.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Hi SoBeSparky, thanks for your help. Originally I'd planned on two nights each Suzhou, Hangzhou and Shanghai, but decided to fly out of Shanghai a day earlier which left me with only five nights.

The main reason for going to Hangzhou was to see the sunset over the West Lake and after reading your reply I was considering adding a night to Suzhou and just one in Hangzhou. But - you mentioned green tea and West Lake Impressions Show. I did a search and the Impression Show is something I will definitely go and see and I like green tea.I've toured tea plantations in the Cameron Highlands, and will see if there's a similar tour in Hangzhou.

Thank you for your advice without it, I'd have missed out on two interesting things.

Cheers.

Canberra
Level Contributor
532 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

We have just returned from Hangzhou, and although I didn't expect it to be anything special, we really enjoyed our two nights stay at The Tea Boutique. The Westlake Impressions show is wonderful and should not be missed. Taxis are a bit difficult but not impossible. We also walked alot.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

Generally, I prefer to stay in Tongli water town for 1 night because I really love the atmosphere in China's water town. But it also depends on your touring time limitation.

You can fvisit Tongli Fistly and then Suzhou and then Hangzhou. Because the train between Suzhou and Hangzhou is convinient to get and also comfortable than coach I think.

7. Re: Suzhou for one night including trip to Tongli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:17