We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water in Medellin

Framingham...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Water in Medellin

Is the water safe in Medellin or it is better to buy a bottled water?

Is it safe to order salad or I should only order hot dishes?

What about scrambled eggs and soup? Is the water safe to take a shower?

Can I buy any drinks?

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Water in Medellin

The water in Medellin is perfectly safe to drink straight from the tap and matter-of-fact the taste quality is by far much better than we have here in Los Angeles, California. In 25 years of travel to Colombia and the past 8 years spending 3 to 4 months of each year in Medellin I have never had an issue.

Perfectly safe to order a salad, I do it every time I eat out which is often as I just returned last week from a month and a half spent in Medellin.

Same goes with eggs and soup, never an issue.

Go and enjoy Medellin!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Water in Medellin

As pointed out - water in Medellin -fine

Small towns - don't drink it - stick with bottled

Framingham...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3. Re: Water in Medellin

Thank you!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
63 posts
4. Re: Water in Medellin

water in Medellin proper is safe to drink from tap

ordering salads is totally is totally fine

scrambled eggs and soup - fine

showers- fine

you can order any drinks you like

only caveat is that if you are in a nightclub, getting trashed or are hanging out with questionable women that seem overly interested in you that you met the same night at a club, dont accept any drinks they give you and only buy your own drinks as it is possible to get drugged if you are in a bad situation, a big party person, and are not careful. Even this is a rare scenario but possible if you are very careless.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5. Re: Water in Medellin

Thank you!

Medellin, Colombia
2 posts
6. Re: Water in Medellin

Tap water in Medellin is better than FIJI's. Or you prefer Mountain Valley's? Well, Medellin is in a mountain valley. Now, seriously, tap water from Medellin is collected in high mountain basins away from agriculture or cattle ranches. This places are known as "paramos" which produce the best drinking water, safe to drink right away. Professional companies run the acueducts treating and purifing it to perfection. But... There's always a but, this is true in big mountain cities, in small towns and coastal cities you must ask first the locals.

Reply to: Water in Medellin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted