We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providencia Trip in April

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Providencia Trip in April

We are planning trip in April. I have a few questions. I see it mentioned that there are a couple of grocery stores that have liquor are we talking top shelf or just the local products? Also what are they looking for in the bags they search at the airports. Just thinking if be brought our own alcohol in our suitcase or at least a small bottle if it would be taken.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Providencia Trip in April

Yes there are a few grocery stores there however you'll get a better liquor selection on San Andres;besides that the prices are duty free.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Providencia Trip in April

If you fly into San Andres and buy your booze there, nobody cares. Bringing it into Colombia from outside the country is a problem, however. And how sophisticated to want "top shelf". Maybe some over run Jamaican island is more your style. This place is cool, and does not rely on drunk pretentiousness.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Providencia Trip in April

Nonsense you can bring duty - free liquor into Colombia;2 litres/68 oz as a matter of fact you can also buy duty free once you arrive at BOG (Bogota)

San Andres has several top shelf brands;personally I like Ron Botero or Zacapa and Northern Harvest Crown Royal.Colombians like a good scotch,so poke around San Andres;just watch out for cheap fakes aka chiviado. Buy from a reputable duty free outlet.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Providencia Trip in April

Given your rude response, I'm going to assume you are not the expert on "cool"

Playa4u thanks for the info

Edited: 17 January 2017, 20:44
British Columbia...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Providencia Trip in April

Mikeethegerman, why assume Posters are drunkards because they prefer good quality alcohol? No need to insult. And, my husband and I have been to Jamaica twice, beautiful people, beautiful island, and only drank good quality alcohol. We had a wonderful time, and hey, never got drunk once!

Edited: 22 April 2017, 08:39
Reply to: Providencia Trip in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Providencia Island
More Providencia Island Topics