We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

We are looking for another non-touristy place to go chill out for 2 wks. Been to Bocas del Toro, Carriacou (Grenada), Vieques and Culebra, Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica... Looking to find another such relaxed not full of tourists and concrete place.

So searching the internet, found San Andres, Columbia and thought hmmm this looks like some beautiful calm beaches! That in turn led me to Providencia! I told my husband - I think we've found our next Winter vacation?

So my Q's: are the beaches on both really as beautiful and calm as they look?

Is it really as laid-back (Providencia) as ppl say?

Do you think there will be enough to do (ie exploring via golf cart, going to the other island) for us, other than just walking out and swimming and lying on the beach (day), then finding a reggae bar or hut or something for some drinks (evg)?

We have to consider travelling days from Canada, so the flights I looked at have us arriving for eg. Sat., arriving SanAndres on the Sunday, then having to leave SA, via Panama, then home 2 wks later on the Sat. So I thought possibly, in the initial talking/planning stages, maybe San Andres for Sat/Sun, then fly (sounds like the catamaran is too risky time-wise tho we love the water, may save that for Catalina) over to Providencia. Stay there til we have to go back the Sat. to arrive home on the Sunday.

Unfortunately doing this we wouldn't see any kind of culture - ie the cities on the mainland or anything, but we just did all the country/etc in Costa Rica and it was exhausting, however beautiful, so thinking of doing this "beaching it on remote islands" for a change. Would we be missing out on a lot doing this?

(The flight I checked has us arriving via Panama so it looked like the more $$$ options were out of Columbia itself)?

Flights seem to be about $1000 Cdn. per person. Looking at Varadero Cuba (again) or maybe Curacao as the other option - beaches AND cute town and things to do....

but then I found Providencia and thought hmmmm......... ???? Help????????

(ps we do a bit of snorkelling but no diving).

Thanks everyone!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

1FourFun I'll have to look for your review! Garbage huh/ Reminds me of Bocas - well not Bocas but Isla Caranero - garbage everywhere..

LOL about the pic - yes they are both beautiful - Paradise and BBC :) can't wait! b ut still am planning the Providencia / then Nic/Corn Islands trip the next 2 yrs. Price went up again for Prov. so I just don't know.....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

So very very disappointed... After all my research and reading and pre-booking etc etc, now... Because of rising costs of the flights, we will no longer be going to Providencia. Maybe one year after we win the lottery! (up over $1000 from when I first looked). Just not doeable. DARN....

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

I already booked the tickets to Bogota and San Andres, now I am looking to see how should I split the time between San Andres and Providencia.

I haven't been before to a caribbean island, but I've been to many in south east Asia. Did anyone visit both places and can make a comparison?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

Lucky you! All I can say is from all my research San Andres has better snorkelling and is much more touristy.. Prov. looked absolutely stunning tho!!!! Was soooo looking forward to it... We were only going to stay 1 night/2 days in San Andres. 12 in Providencia....

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

Hi Scrontzo,

Here is my trip report of March 3, 2014:

After 28 years of first hearing of Old Providence, I finally made it! My husband and I were recently there for two weeks and could have stayed for two months! The people were friendly. Everyone speaks Spanish. Many people also speak English, mainly the "Roots" people, the Raizals. We did lots of snorkeling- by Morgan's Head on Santa Catalina and a couple times by charter boat from our hotel, El Pirata Morgan. The water is beautiful, and we could see why it is called the Sea of Seven Colors. The coral is pristine. We saw some fish we have never seen in the Caribbean before. Providence, alone with San Andres is part of The Ocean Conservancy- a protected biosphere. We rented a scooter several times and went around the island. I was surprised that there are cement roads. I had visualized dirt roads or paths. We went to the horse race on Southwest Beach. These are held on most Saturdays. Great excitement! The lobster, fish, crab were the best we have ever eaten. The pizza was good too! We did not hike The Peak. That will have to wait till our next incarnation when we're young and strong again :). Don't worry about luggage restriction. Searca and Satena airlines both allow 15 kg for checked luggage and 10 kg for carry-on. You can also pay for extra weight. I knew Providence was my kind of place when all saw all the seahorse motifs (I collect seahorse ornaments, etc.) It is a magical place. We will definitely come back.

We stayed 3 nights in San Andres on our way to Providence and 2 prior to flying home. Our main destination was Providence. On San Andres, we stayed on the far south of the island at Sunset Hotel. It was very quiet and peaceful. The town itself was too much hustle and bustle for us. On San Andres, we only did some snorkeling across the road from the Sunset. Did see a few nice fish. The reef on Providence was absolutely pristine and stunning. Loads of fish. I am already planning another trip back.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

Hi suzieqGRENADA,

I'm sorry to hear you won't make it to Old Providence. It is very expensive to get there. We each paid about $1100.00 to get to Bogota (I think San Andres was included). Then there is the flight to Old Providence (or the boat, of course, for less). I'm sure you'll keep it on your bucket list. Where do you think you will go this winter?

London, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

Suzie, listen there is always a way. If you find a cheap ticket to either Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota or Cali you can still get to San Andres very cheaply on Viva Colombia, it's owned by European low cost giant RyanAir. If you manage to get a charter flight to Cartagena you won't even have to pay the Canadian tax.

Cartagena is well worth 1 day walking around the beautiful old city and you can do the other day in San Andres and then move on. The extra flight connection is well worth it.

38. Re: Providencia & San Andres - 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2017, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Providencia Island
More Providencia Island Topics