We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

Hi all,

I have been enticed by the beautiful photos of the beaches at San Andres and Providencia, and I am hoping to visit May 6-10 (the Monday is a holiday in Colombia so I'm trying to book ASAP before prices go up even more and availability is even lower!). I am traveling with a friend from college (2 women in early 20s), and we're not big partiers but may want to do a night or two of drinks and possibly dancing. We're mainly going to laze on the beach, bike the islands, and do some snorkeling.

From what I've read, there are more lodging options and they are more reasonably priced in San Andres. I did a quick search on two hostels in San Andres, El Viajero and Blue Almond, which both have some availability for our dates, and the prices look okay. I also did a quick search for the Blue Almond location in Providencia, which was significantly more expensive and with less availability.

Which island would be best for us? My sense is that Providencia is more calm. Is there any nightlife or bars to speak of? What are the main advantages of staying in Providencia over San Andres? Also, what are the best ways to get to Providencia? Reading about issues with the catamaran and poor availability for the flights directly to Providencia, I'm thinking we might just do Providencia as a day trip somehow, but if someone here thinks Providencia is significantly nicer to stay on then San Andres, I'm all ears!

4 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

Hello.

If you are only going to stay for 2 nights, you should probably stay atolladero in San Andrés.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

spas21r,"atolladero"(stuck in a spot) - an interesting way of putting it 8)

To expand on that - another option would be to stay in San Luis;off the beach,across the road or up the hill in one of the budget minded guest houses.Nice stretch of beach and a little snorkeling at nearby Rocky Caye.Westview is another decent snorkel spot;short bus ride and a walk.Buses serve most of the island;don't get stuck last bus is around 9 pm.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g349…

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g349…

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

Hi Julia,

did you made the trip last year? what did you decided? and how was it?

I am interested in going there this may and I was wondering how is the weather, is it good beach weather in May? and the accommodation - was it ok in Providencia?

Maybe you could share your experience.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay in San Andres or Providencia?

I have exactly the same dilemma. As all together have 4 nights between san andres and providencia.

Reply to: To stay in San Andres or Providencia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Providencia Island
More Providencia Island Topics