We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay ?

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay ?

I have never been to Egypt but hoping to this July. the thought of Sharm doesn't really appeal to me, so after a bit of searching it is a toss between Marsa alam and Dahab, but I am leaning more towards Dahab.

It will be myself, hubby and 2 kids aged 11 and 1. The main hotels that have caught my eye are the Le meridien, and Hilton. I have heard the area itself is windy, but being at the height at summer with a little baby, that will be fine by us, but wanted to know what the beaches were like and if they are rocky or sandy, is the area busy, is the main centre far from the hotels I mentioned, ect...

We tend to like resorts that are on the quieter side, hence me not wanting to go Sharm, so if anyone else can sugests others parts of egypt that are similar and not too busy I would be really grateful :-)

Thanks.

1. Re: where to stay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2009, 15:21
northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay ?

Have a look at Nuweiba .............beautiful beaches, excellent snorkelling, peace , quiet but only an hour from Dahab .

3. Re: where to stay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 March 2009, 07:48
Lochmaben, Scotland
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay ?

myself and husband are going to iberotel dahabeya in november. we chose it over the Hilton as the reviews have all been brilliant on trip advisor. Also has lovely sandy beach with swimming/snorkelling straight off beach.I believe the town is 5 min drive away.

Have never been to chav sharm. Have been to the Hilton in Taba, which was wonderful, a nice quiet beach and very quiet area. We use to arrive in Israel and go through to taba but taba i believe has its own airport now. you can also walk through to eilat in israel which is interesting, but may seeem worrying with kids in tow. Marsa Alam looks lovely too, almost booked there.

Good luck

Dahab and Sinai
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay ?

Hi,

For sure Dahab is much better than Sharm, it is small town not so commercial as Sharm, it is like as paradise for independent travellers, opposite to Sharm which is only for groups and tour operators.

The lagoon area is beautiful in particular for a family with little children because there you will find sandy beaches. The town center it is few kilometers away, also the center it is full of small hotels but here you will find rocky beaches so you should book a hotel with pool to allow the children to play in the water.

Nuweiba also is beautiful full of sandy beaches, but completely empty: the tourist that were going there were mainly israeli and now they have stopped to go.

I think the best choice for you and your family will be Dahab, than from there you can book trips and excursions all around Sinai.

Dahab and Sinai
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay ?

Hi,

For sure Dahab is much better than Sharm, it is small town not so commercial as Sharm, it is like as paradise for independent travellers, opposite to Sharm which is only for groups and tour operators.

The lagoon area is beautiful in particular for a family with little children because there you will find sandy beaches. The town center it is few kilometers away, also the center it is full of small hotels but here you will find rocky beaches so you should book a hotel with pool to allow the children to play in the water.

Nuweiba also is beautiful full of sandy beaches, but completely empty: the tourist that were going there were mainly israeli and now they have stopped to go.

I think the best choice for you and your family will be Dahab, than from there you can book trips and excursions all around Sinai.

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay ?

Thanks for all your replies, as long as there is a pool and a sandy beach and some kids then we will be fine, even though I am a mother, I do not take too well to resorts full of kids and families, lol

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay ?

How about an apartment?

I stayed at Sea Stars last year, and it was really great! Pricewise, it's probably going to be cheaper as well for the four of you.

Sea Stars doesn't have a pool, but it has a great rooftop terrace. We booked through www.villarenters.com. They've also got some other apartments in Dahab, some of them have a pool as well :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay ?

Hi,

<For sure Dahab is much better than Sharm, it is small town not so commercial as Sharm, it is like as paradise for independent travellers, opposite to Sharm which is only for groups and tour operators.>

I must object to the phraseology here; Dahab is NOT better than Sharm, it's different & certainly not just for groups & tour ops. My husband & I have enjoyed 5 very peaceful, relaxing holidays in the centre of Na'ama Bay......yes, it IS possible!

I have been to Dahab twice, on day trips & find that it's not for me. I went back, after the 1st time, to give it another chance.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but plz try to read between the lines when sweeping statements are made by local tour operators with a vested interest in your going to their resort!

Regards

South Sinai
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay ?

if you like resorts then Helton or Le meridien or swiss inn will be good to you all this resorts are out of rown so they are quiet and they have sandy beaches and for snorkeling you can do trips around Dahab or you can walk to the lagoon area but if you are looking for place by the town and ner the reff and the sand beach i recommend the Dahab Coach house

they are by the area of light hous witch it has the reff and the sand and they are quiet too and it is like somll hotel good for the kids.

best wishes and hope to see you in Dahab.

Jo

Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations
More Dahab Topics