We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm or hughada

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Sharm or hughada

We are a family with 2 kids (6 and 9) looking for a quiet two weeks in June. We don't want nightlife and action but are looking for good beaches and excellent snorkelling. Day trips to Luxor and Cairo are also on the cards to see the ancient wonders.

So Sharrm or hurghada?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharm or hughada

Hurghada, at least you can do Luxor by road then.

For snorkelling i would look at Makadi Bay, maybe the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay. We stayed next door at the Fort Arabesque and the snorkelling from the beach there was amazing. There are reefs literally just off shore.

The Sunrise is good for families and has lots of restaurants to choose from. I believe it also has kids pool slides and Thomas Cook have a kids club too.

Sharm would be okay but would mean flights to Cairo and Luxor. Cairo could be done by road but it is a long long journey.

Snorkelling in Sharm is arguably better than Hurghada but it does generally mean entry to the sea from a jetty. Not very child friendly really as straight into deep water.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm or hughada

We went to hurghada last year with friends for a week. We were lucky enough to be child free on this trip as they were holidaying with family. I was really impressed with Egypt, I thought the hotels offered superb value for money, facilities were excellent & most of all we loved the people. Everyone we encountered couldn't do enough to help us, they were so welcoming & friendly. Add to that beautiful scenery, and amazing weather and the result was a fabulous week and two new Egypt lovers.

Many of the hotels in hurghada are on village road which is a good 30 mins from the centre of Hurghada. Hurghada is a traditional working town, and if I'm honest isn't geared for tourists, although they do have a nice Marina albeit a bit disjointed as a minute away is the back streets where residents live in relative poverty among many furniture making shops. Hurghada is a work in progress where tourism is concerned, it's just not quite the finished article at present (IMO). Having said all that I found our experience to be a great one, & did feel we got to see the real Egypt. I would love to see Hurghada in a few more years as work progresses.

This year we are taking the kids (12 & 13) to the aqua blu in the hadaba region near old sharm. It's not in the busy area of naama bay where I believe the night life is. So as far as I can tell, there is also nabq bay which is the newer & up & coming area, sharks bay is another area near soho square (but if you look at the tips at the top of the forum this explains much better).

We can't wait for our upcoming holiday...and I hope you find the right resort for your family.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm or hughada

Because they are young I would say Sharm where the hotels have water parks and lots of things geared up for children.

A little further north are quiter family hotels with long sandy beaches and clear calm sea.

Hurghada tends to have man made beaches of desert sand and there are not many resorts with reefs directly off the beach. Further to the south like Marsa Alam where there are some reefs off the beach. It tends to be quiet down there.

I would look carefully at the trips to Luxor & Cairo as they are very long coach trips, hours, for young children. Even adults find them trying. Or fly but they would probably have had enough of that with the journey out there.

4. Re: Sharm or hughada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:40
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh